The Sewing Place

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition - sewing for cooler temperatures

Manuela

@sewmuchmore I loooooooooooove your fabric, please please please tell me where you got it - pretty please with a cherry on top  :loveit:

Tamnymore

@Manuela Ralston fabrics have something very similar. here
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Manuela

Thank you @Tamnymore. Sadly it’s needlecord, I stay miles away from corduroy as I had to wear it extensively when I was a kid. Usually the handmedowns my brother grew out of, and I was mercilessly bullied for it at school (no school uniforms in Germany).
Hmm, that might explain the rather well filled closet I have nowadays...
Anayway, no needle cord shall come near me or my closet  :devil:

Tamnymore

Oh dear @Manuela . Bad karma from needlecord. I know what you mean about school clothes or, for people in the UK, it's often the colour of their old school uniform that they avoid. (In my case maroon).  :S

Tamnymore

Here's my tartan entry. It is an asymmetric shirt from Butterick pattern 6521. Interestingly I could not find any reviews of this pattern anywhere! As the pattern lends itself to piecing it is a good way of putting together a set of matching or contrasting fabrics. I have used some Liberty Varuna wool in a flowery pattern taken from a pair of trousers which never fitted and a charity shop skirt along with some tartan silk dupion - again from a charity shop (an odd length - about 60cm by 2m)  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  . The only change I made was to add a couple of extra sections along the hem, front and back at the left hand side (luckily I had just enough fabric). The left side is a lot shorter than the sight side and I found that the left pocket tended to hang down below the hem. If I make the pattern again I'll extend the hem on the left by a couple of inches and curve the edge of the hem accordingly. Its a nice pattern - went together well and I'm pleased with the result.

Greybird

@Tamnymore your version of it looks much nicer than the pattern picture -it looks a bit stiff and formal on the picture. I love your fabrics - that's going to be a lovely "C*******s garment.

SkoutSews

Lovely shirt, Tamny. I love the mix of fabrics, they go together really well. It suits you too. Isn't it nice when a plan works out?

Manuela

Great fabric combination @Tamnymore, love it  <3

Tamnymore

Thanks, all!

sewmuchmore

@Manuela Ralston fabrics have something very similar. here
@Manuela That is were I got it from. Although it is cord it is a very fine, nearly smooth cord. It is also light weight so I lined the skirt to give it more body.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

sewmuchmore

@Tamnymore loving the shirt, I want one.  :loveit:

Janet

Nevis5

@Tamnymore  that is a great shirt!  I really like the colour blocking, it works so well.  I have tried to do that myself in the past but have been really unhappy with the results.  You obviously have a great eye for mixing colours and patterns.

sewmuchmore

Managed to get my cape cut out, tacked and sewn, in the main fabric. Just the lining the do and wouldn't you know it the piece I had in mind is too small. I have been to Fabworks as well today, if only I had checked the lining before I went. Now have to go again, what a shame  :loveit:
Pics show how I marked the pattern piece to get a match on the fabric and the cape made up so far. It was a headache thinking about the pattern running both ways but I think I have managed to get the pattern all lined up.

Amended, oops looks as if there is a ghost at the window

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 22:56:06 PM by Manuela »

Janet

Acorn

Ooh that's lovely!   0_0   <3
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

Glad some people get to finish things!  Going to unpick the waistband on my prince of wales check skirt and see if I can make it fit better by adjusting the darts. I suspect it is not the shape of the skirt, but of me.   
I was going to bin it, but when I picked it up to mourn over, OH said "Oh, you could wear that", as if he'd never seen it before.  Guess who put me off it in the first place? 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m