The Sewing Place

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition - sewing for cooler temperatures

sewmuchmore

Cape now finished. Sorry seem to be having trouble getting photos on. now managed it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 22:49:03 PM by Manuela »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Greybird

How lovely! That's one where people will stop you in the street to ask how you got it!

toileandtrouble

I do like the lining, so nice to have a bit of a dazzle inside. I rather fancied a cape - I have the pattern, but didn't know what it would be worn with -  what are you planning?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Tamnymore

Fabulous @sewmuchmore:D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Manuela

I do like the lining, so nice to have a bit of a dazzle inside. I rather fancied a cape - I have the pattern, but didn't know what it would be worn with -  what are you planning?

A cape like this can be worn the same way as a jacket of a similar length. It looks as good with a pair of jeans as it does with a straight cut skirt or dress.
The world needs more capes!

Manuela

Wowsie, two entries from @sewmuchmore  :loveit:

There are a few more days to put the pictures of your entries up everybody :)

sewmuchmore

I only do skirts and dresses, made primarily to wear when we go out. Something not too heavy but will keep a chill off whilst we walk to the pub/restaurant/friends and easy to put over the back of a chair (have you noticed there never seems to be anywhere to hang coats these days).
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

toileandtrouble

Thanks! Now I am thinking evening/party, which would mean a lovely fabric.  Ooh, what a nice idea.
 A bit too unusual for everyday on an older lady round here, rather noticeable and I don't want to be noticed. What I'm aiming for is this:
"I can never remember what Mrs X was wearing, but I always get the impression she was well dressed" 
Can't remember what book that came from.  Anyhow, aiming is one thing, hitting the target is another!

toileandtrouble

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Ta Da!  Is finished, can (just about) wear it. [
attachment id=0 msg=93059] 
Had to take the pocket out, it was distorting the line too much. Also resized the back darts.  Can't get a better picture of the back. Phone camera, expanded and over shoulder at an angle in less than perfect light,press the button while trying not to wobble, emailed to self and resized.. amazed it came out at all.  But I did finish.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 21:46:18 PM by toileandtrouble »

toileandtrouble

Having a stab at the second piece of wool. I thought the pleated skirt with the plain overlay, sort of kilty, but the pleats would not hold, so have tried to enlarge the four panel flared skirt to my size.  Probably not the right way, but slid the pattern 'x' inches parallel to the grainline.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Now have four panels, which match up nicely
Matched, and that joined seam includes a zip. Tres chuffed.

This I do not like.  I can't see it working even if it was a plain material so I shall turn it round and make the side zip a centre back zip.  Then I will try and reshape the side seams into a sort of A-line. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 15:27:18 PM by toileandtrouble »

Greybird

Very nice - I'm sure you'll be remembered as well dressed!

Manuela

@toileandtrouble, sorry if it sounds a bit daft, are those 2 projects? It isn't quite clear in your posts, could you please clarify.
Thank you

toileandtrouble

Yes, the black and white is finished, starting on the brown.  (I thought I had replied to this from my tablet, must have messed up)

Manuela

@toileandtrouble, I collected all the bits and pieces you posted here about the black and white skirt for the voting thread.
It would be great if you could do that next time and post it in the thread as your entry - that way I just need to copy and paste the entry without searching the thread for details  :)
Am I right to assume that this is your entry? If not, I discard the draft.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 13:22:32 PM by Manuela »

Manuela

Anybody else who wants to enter, please post your entries today  :)