The Sewing Place

Jeans waistband size vs waist

Vezelay

Jeans waistband size vs waist
« on: September 15, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »
This post was very confusing - even to me - so I've condensed it.

I'm hacking my altered-to-fit Style Arc Elle pant pattern to a more jeans-like version with yoke, pockets etc.

My fabric for this is heavier weight and less stretchy than my previous versions of the Elle so to be on the safe side I want to increase the length of the waistband which will have elastic inserted. I presume I'll also need to add a small amount to the sides of the front and back pattern pieces at the waist.

So I was wondering - is there some rule about waistband vs pants waist measurements? Or does the elastication mean that it's OK as long as the waistband isn't longer than the waist?

What do you think?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 14:35:37 PM by Vezelay »

eclectic

Re: Jeans waistband size vs waist
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 13:10:43 PM »
Hi Vezelay, I had a quick look at the StylArc site and I see it's a pull on … it looks like a 'leggings' type pattern so I wonder, if your fabric doesn't have the required stretch amount (as noted in the pattern instructions I assume?) then it wont go over your hips if you only put the elastic in the waistband. Bear in mind that the fit around the hips and knees etc may also be uncomfortable …

Vezelay

Re: Jeans waistband size vs waist
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 14:34:02 PM »
That's a good point @eclectic. The Elle is drafted for the Style Arc "bengaline" fabric which has about 30% stretch, although my other two versions only have 20%. I just looked at reviews of the Elle where stretch denim with 20% or less was used and one added 1/4" to  both side seams, tapering to nothing at the thigh. That should be easy enough because I decided to increase the s/a to 5/8" from 1/4"(!) . And easy enough to take in if need be. Someone else advised making the waistband first to check it goes over the hips - which sounds like a really sensible idea. Thanks - your thoughts are useful for me.