The Sewing Place

Vinyl help please

Lizzielogs

Vinyl help please
« on: September 15, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/4yDJ

I wonder if anyone could give me a bit of advice on vinyl/ PVC please. I have been asked to re create a purse like the one in the photo.
The vinyl seems very thin and is only sewn to the tops of the card slots and through the centre on the fold, it is backed with a type of strong nylon feeling fabric which I am not too bothered about as I could substitute cotton fabric.
What is your advice for the vinyl? I have looked online and have seen a 'dressmaking' weight but can't seem to see anywhere I can buy a sample (not even eBay) all I can buy is a metre length which I am very reluctant to do in case it's not what I need.
Can you help at all please?

Surest1tch

Re: Vinyl help please
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
I've only used vinyl once to make a sheaf for 1 of my really good kitchen knives, it was self backed with some kind of knitted fabric. I found it was easy to use but I did use a rolling foot, the kind you use on leather in case it walked if that's any help.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
@Lizzielogs I've made similar purses with vinyl used like this - I think I may have cut up a clear plastic folder, but I have other vinyl/plastic items at home like cd sleeves, the plastic envelopes that sheets and duvet covers come in (I keep anything like that). I wouldn't buy anything specially - you'll probably find something suitable in the house. I use a walking foot or teflon foot - or a roller foot as Surestitch said.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:24:35 AM by Vezelay »

Lizzielogs

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »
@Lizzielogs I've made similar purses with vinyl used like this - I think I may have cut up a clear plastic folder, but I have other vinyl/plastic items at home like cd sleeves, the plastic envelopes that sheets and duvet covers come in (I keep anything like that). I wouldn't buy anything specially - you'll probably find something suitable in the house. I use a walking foot or teflon foot - or a roller foot as Surestitch said.

Thank you Vezelay what I need is the black stuff not the clear as I have plenty of that - do you have any ideas for the other type?

Lizzielogs

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
I've only used vinyl once to make a sheaf for 1 of my really good kitchen knives, it was self backed with some kind of knitted fabric. I found it was easy to use but I did use a rolling foot, the kind you use on leather in case it walked if that's any help.
Thanks Surest1tch, I have a waking foot and a roller foot so I will be OK for that I don't think the stuff you used would be thin enough for me as this black fabric is super thin, someone has suggested PUL so I'm going to try for a sample of that.
Fingers crossed.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »
…and is only sewn to the tops of the card slots and through the centre on the fold

With the multiple layers, and the flexibility needed in a purse (or wallet) you really don't need a thick vinyl. I'd say 0.8 to 1mm is all you'd need. I've toyed with making eco-leather wallets, and 1mm is the maximum I was happy with.

Although it looks like there is stitching in only at the top of the slots and down the middle, there is almost certainly more stitching (or glueing) inside the card slots. If there weren't, the pockets would be too deep and cards would disappear within!

Have a look at some of the "long wallet" making videos on YouTube.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 12:51:07 PM »
Right, I misunderstood your image. Hopefully the PUL sample will turn out to be just what you need. I've used Kraft-tex for this before, including black - wonderful stuff imo - but you probably won't have any if that lying around  :).

s2

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 20:49:40 PM »
Hi @Lizzielogs did you get sorted i know its an old post but i have only just joined.Geoff