The Sewing Place

Prym Vario Pliers

Ploshkin

Prym Vario Pliers
« on: September 16, 2018, 18:18:49 PM »
I've finally faced snaps again.

I bought the Prym Vario Plus assortment kit after a recommendation on here.  It can be got for under £30. The pliers come with 3 different types of snaps and eyelets plus the different tools to fit into the pliers.  It took me a while to realise that the appropriate bits were next to each lot of snaps in the box.  The pictorial instruction leaflets just fried my brain but I found the Prym video on You tube - without that I wouldn't have known about the plastic tool for removing the attachments from the pliers.

Anyway, they work brilliantly and have banished my fear of snaps - I'll be snap happy from now on.  The bit for making holes works really well and cuts a neat hole with a defined click.  I put snaps on rubbery waterproof trousers but tried the hole tool on some bits of other fabric.  It even cut a nice hole on a fleecy knit fabric.

Money well spent I would say.
Life's too short for ironing.

Kenora

Re: Prym Vario Pliers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 19:20:19 PM »
I have the Dritz pliers which are OK, although you need a good, strong grip to squeeze the snaps enough to work. The only problem I've had was self-inflicted. I used the snaps on a pair of rompers for a baby with a disability, and found that they were too strong to open and close easily. The rompers were made of soft cotton, and the plackets reinforced, but it took almost super-human strength to open the snaps so I cut them all off (no mean feat in itself) and used sew-on poppers instead. I later found out that if I'd used a size smaller snaps, they are supposed to open more easily, although I've yet to buy any and try them out to verify this. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »
I'm also a newbie to these.  They've worked fine (as long as I have the right bits in).  Only problem I did have is that they only work when you don't have to cover much fabric.  The last ones I did I had to clip the fabric together so they would reach where I wanted.  Otherwise you have to use the round tool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-troqueladora/dp/B00VI8W70O/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1539164228&sr=1-11&keywords=prym+snap+tool

First time I used them I did get nervous, you've made a HOLE, the relief is wonderful when you've done the first one and the hole has gone.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

eclectic

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
Hi Gernella, thanks for posting this I have been thinking about these and wondering how well they would work on Lycra … did you try any lycra when you tested?

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 15:34:30 PM »
No I've never used on Lycre, presumably you use the light weight snaps.  I nearly boobed on the  first jacket I added snaps to.  I was that busy looking at videos on how you did it that when I came to buying the  snaps I got the wrong  ones, they were heavy duty ones, more suitable for bags.  The fabric I had was not really suitable where there was no interfacing.  I finished up having to do some restoration on the back of one snap (out of sight).  The good thing was they were only on as a feature and unlikely to be used.  Won't make that mistake again.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

eclectic

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 17:29:21 PM »
Ok thanks, I will bear that in mind :)

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
In case anyone is thinking of buying - I have just received the Vario Plus Kit from Jaycotts for £20.45 (inc postage)  and it is £30.77 on Amazon - seems to be identical

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 15:57:00 PM »
I think I got mine from Jaycotts at a good price - it's worth shopping around

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 14:54:50 PM »
@Ploshkin   I`m doing really well!  Just experimenting with my new pliers and the metal pieces were such a tight fit that I have already managed to break the lever tool trying to get them out!  Did you have any problems with your`s?  I can`t bring myself to buy another so I am reduced to pushing the pieces out with a tiny Philips screwdriver!

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 15:46:15 PM »
They are fairly tight @sewingj but not so much that they are difficult to remove.
I'm glad you're getting on ok with them.  I find there is a definite 'clunk' when the piece has been installed properly, none have failed yet.  If I haven't used it for a bit or I'm using a new type of fastening I always sacrifice one for practice so I can be sure I'm putting the right bits in the right place.

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 16:00:35 PM »
Thanks @Ploshkin  hopefully they will loosen up a bit with use. I agree that the instructions are baffling - I would have been lost without videos to refer to

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 22:36:54 PM »
...wondering how well they would work on Lycra … did you try any lycra when you tested?

I was wondering that too. I have used KAMsnaps in the past but I'm not keen on the look of plastic snaps and I found I didn't have the grip strength to ensure a good bond every time. They were also way too strong for littlies' clothes if you used the standard size, I don't use them a lot and have moved back to old fashioned press studs or hooks & eyes without too much pain. The metal ones do look more appealing though.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
These are my new best friend.  I had problems with the tool that comes with the snaps because I couldn't get enough force with my hammer, this gives a nice satisfying crunch.  After putting around 35 in I've got the hang of it, although I did get cocky on my last set and used the wrong tool piece for the first back snap (squashed it) bit of a tense minute or 15 before I managed to get it out. 

I did look at a lot of videos  first though.  On one side of the pliers the holding thingy is a bit loose and doesn't hold the tool piece so I have to make sure that bit is underneath (I think there are spares in the box).