The Sewing Place

Add a fastening to this cardigan

Vezelay

Add a fastening to this cardigan
« on: September 18, 2018, 15:58:20 PM »
A while back I made McCalls 7254 - a cardigan with shawl collar - using a nice looking cosy sweater knit. The collar is a double piece of fabric that continues around the hem. But I don't wear it. You can see on the pattern picture that the model is holding the front together, but if you don't hold it it gapes open and the back swings out unattractively. It's at least a size to large which doesn't help the gape, though I've already taken in all the seams, but it would be fine with about a 2" overlap at the front held by a fastening of some kind.

I think a button would look best. However, I followed advice on PatternReview and didn't interface the collar (which the pattern says to do). That does give it a nice drape but I think that means a button/buttonhole can't be safely added.

I could remove the collar and interface it but then of course I'd lose the drape. Could I just put a small piece of interfacing where the button would go? On either the outside or inside of the collar? Or is there another means of securing a button fastening?

Appreciate any feedback as always  :)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 16:08:23 PM by Vezelay »

coffeeandcake

Re: Add a fastening to this cardigan
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 16:10:37 PM »
As I was reading your post I was thinking that I'd just interface between the layers where you want to put a buttonhole.  I like the pattern.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 17:21:12 PM »
What about frog fastening? It doesn't have to be anything too elaborate.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 17:56:02 PM »
@Francesca and @coffeeandcake does the button area not need interfacing too? And could the interfacing go on the inside collar piece? where it 's less likely to show. It is a nice pattern but re-reading more recent PatternReviews others have found it comes up very big too.

@UttaRetch - I always thought that frog fastenings had plastic or metal bits - interesting to see that they can be soft. I was set on a button but will think about that.

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 18:02:41 PM »
@Vezelay

Where are you looking to position your button? From your picture it looks like a natural place would be just at the end of the shawl collar?

If you look at view D on your pattern, the suggestion is for a toggle closure? Have you considered that at all?

lizzy

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 18:20:09 PM by Lizzy777 »

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 18:12:03 PM »
What about a nice big decorative pin of some kind.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 19:13:27 PM »
As I was reading your post I was thinking that I'd just interface between the layers where you want to put a buttonhole.  I like the pattern.

Me too but also under where you place the button.

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions which have helped me decide to unpick a small area of the overlocked collar to add a small piece of interfacing to the facing fabric on both sides. I'm not sure what size button will work best but for now I'll use a 2cm one from my small stash and see how it goes.

Cheers!

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 11:27:17 AM »
Vez, would a large hook and eye do the job?  You know the fancy ones on RTW?

Just a thought to save making buttonholes.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
Vez, would a large hook and eye do the job?  You know the fancy ones on RTW?

I'm not sure I do @b15erk  :| - I almost never go clothes shopping and some of my rtw clothes date back to the last century! I suppose it'd work similar to the frog fastening? But this fabric - which is quite soft - is probably still going to need a bit of interfacing inserting whatever I do. I don't mind the buttonhole - it'll be a chance to try out my button hole leveller plate thingy I bought a while back.  :)