The Sewing Place

Do I need an overlocker?

wrenkins

Do I need an overlocker?
« on: September 21, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Well do I?
I know I want one but does that alone make it necessary?  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

wrenkins

Re: Do I need an overlocker?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
OOoooo good answer.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Mr Twingo

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
And I have one for sale  :D A janome 9300DX, barely used as my sewing habits changed.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
Well I know that  Mr T. It's your fault that I want one. May I have first dibs?

eclectic

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 13:36:58 PM »
Francesca is spot on Wrenkins … and Christmas is around the corner  ;)

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 14:03:19 PM »
So's my birthday.  0_0

Bogwoppit

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 14:23:33 PM »
I've come to the same conclusion, need - no, want - yes.
I have started trying to do more with knit and after using overlocker foot to make my eldest some jogging bottoms while my husband was working at home. He's up for it (he experienced the noise and amount of time it took).   He and eldest hate shopping and the trawling around to find things that fit.

I'm hoping to go to a local shop for a demo and maybe buy a book first.  I've been given a £250 Amazon gift but buy from a shop and use voucher to cover Christmas.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 14:29:38 PM »
@Bogwoppit I used my twin needle on some knit with varying degrees of success.  :S
One of the problems was that the correct colour thread I bought wouldn't thread through the needle!  8) The other problem was that the bobbin started acting the goat for no good reason that I could see. When I see things finished on an overlocker they just look so neat.  :loveit:

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 15:08:33 PM »
I wouldn't be without mine.  I bought it about 5 years ago, just a cheapy because I was unsure how much I would use it.  It's great for neatening seam allowances on woven fabrics, as it tames fraying fabric beautifully.  I love the finish it gives to a sleeve-head/armhole seam.  On knits, it copes with everything.  My sewing machine didn't like one particular synthetic Ponte fabric, but the overlocker just stitched away happily.  It doesn't compare with an overlock stitch on the normal sewing machine, it's so much faster and it cuts off the excess.

One day I'll upgrade to a better model now I've found out how much I use it.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 15:09:31 PM »
Couldn't be without my overlocker or coverstitch now.  Makes garments look so much more professional and they're so quick to use compared to sewing seams then neatening seams separately.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 15:46:46 PM »
I got a fairly cheap overlocker about 20 years ago and it has been great. Threading it was a bit of a pain at first until I realised to change one thread at a time and 'sew it through'. Wouldn't be without it. I see I've typed 20 years - sounds like I should be thinking of an upgrade.   :o
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 16:17:39 PM »
@wrenkins you will never regret it.  It takes things up to the next level and makes things easier too.

@Francesca get that coverstitch machine out and play.  You're far too experienced to be overawed by it.  You'll love it when you do.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 17:03:25 PM »
IMO of you want to sew stretchy fabrics then yes you do need an overlocker.  It's a doddle to run up a tee shirt of pair of leggings with one.

If you only want to sew stable woven fabrics an overlocker is nice but you can get by with the overcast stitches on a regular machine to neaten the edges.

The use of a twin needle isn't a substitute for overlocking, it's a substitute for coverstitching.  Some overlockers (generally the more expensive ones) can convert to coverstitching by disengaging the knife and threading differently.  Unless space is very limited in your sewing area I would recommend a more basic overlocker and then if and when you feel the urge to finish your garments with coverstitching go for a separate coverstitcher
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 17:41:54 PM »
I agree that an overlocker takes your sewing to the next level. Sure, you can use the overcast stitch on your sewing machine to neaten woven fabric edges, but ... it's sooooo sloooow - and not particularly neat, which is important to me. You can also use an overlocker to sew the seam and neaten the edges at the same time, if it's a 4 needle model.

If you can afford one, go ahead and buy - you won't regret it.  :) Just be prepared for a bit steeper learning curve than with an ordinary sewing machine. It's worth it though.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 18:09:07 PM »
if it's a 4 needle model.

I think you mean a 4 thread model. ;)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.