The Sewing Place

Do I need an overlocker?

Kenora

Re: Do I need an overlocker?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 18:18:49 PM »
I think you mean a 4 thread model. ;

Oops - fingers and brain not engaged at the same time  :S Thanks for the correction.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

sewingj

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 18:31:17 PM »
Must admit to feeling very tempted - but also very intimidated as I seem to find it so hard to learn anything new these days.  I still haven`t mastered our latest tv remote control!  Hearing you talk about 4 threads and 2 threads scares me even more.
Am I being a wimp?  I wouldn`t have a clue how to choose one.  Is there an idiot`s guide somewhere?

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 19:08:02 PM »
I haven't been on one but a friend of mine recommended an overlocker course. Might be worth doing one of those day courses before deciding whether to buy one.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 19:22:50 PM »
I can't even find a dressmaking class over here. I suspect the chances of finding an overlocker course are slim to nil.
I have found one little tiny shop in the most unlikely area so I'll ask do they have demo models to try. That'd be a start.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Fiona M

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 19:46:02 PM »
No need to go on a course, I think they are pretty straightforward, really.  They look complicated, but they generally come with a good instruction book that lays everything out for you.  If you run into any trouble, you can always consult the experts on here!  You Tube is also a good source of assistance if you need it.
The Brother 1034D is a really good cheap starter machine, very easy to thread, and seems bombproof to me.
I think once you have tried one you will wonder why on earth you waited so long!

eclectic

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 19:49:45 PM »
I have an Babylock Enlighten, I believe it's one of the higher priced overlockers but it really is a plug and go machine... so I could recommend that for a 'gift' request  :) … having said that... what is more important is to find a dealer locally (or close enough) that can service your machine and is knowledgeable .. without that things can get very frustrating and what could be sorted out in five minutes could turn into an everlasting nightmare 

Helen M

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 19:59:48 PM »
Get one Wrenkins, but make sure it's an easy to thread model! The Brothers are the easiest IMHO.

Francesca if you can use an overlocker you can definitely use a coverstitch! They can be temperamental but shout out here and we'll help you. If it's the Janome that you have one thing I'd say is you have to raise the foot pressure much more than they say to do. 
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

toileandtrouble

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 20:17:31 PM »
Overlocker definitely easier than that TV  remote.  There's more logic to it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SkoutSews

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 20:26:56 PM »
Don't be scared of it. It's only a machine. There are plenty of YouTube videos and help on here too. Just play around with it and all will be well.

Ellabella

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 20:28:17 PM »
@wrenkins do you do Craftsy?  I seem to think their basic overlocker course was quite comprehensive.

YouTube is another place to try.

Honestly if you can use a modern electric machine and you learn to thread an overlocker in the correct order you should be fine.

sewingj

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 21:44:26 PM »
I have an Babylock Enlighten, I believe it's one of the higher priced overlockers but it really is a plug and go machine... so I could recommend that for a 'gift' request  :) … having said that... what is more important is to find a dealer locally (or close enough) that can service your machine and is knowledgeable .. without that things can get very frustrating and what could be sorted out in five minutes could turn into an everlasting nightmare

You see that worries me! I have no dealers whatsoever within easy distance so I would have to buy online. Don`t know what I would do about servicing as it`s becoming increasingly difficult to find anyone locally who can service an ordinary machine let alone an overlocker

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 21:50:17 PM »
At least you have some on the same island. If I want my machine serviced I have to put it on the boat!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 21:54:04 PM »
Are you too far from Coventry, @sewingj .  I bought my machine from Coventry Sewing Centre and take it there to be serviced.

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 22:15:22 PM »
It might be heretical to say this but I don't find you have to service sewing machines all that often and certainly not every year. I'm embarrassed to say how long I've left it sometimes but without any problems. I bet all you TSPers are kind to your machines and service them every year.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 22:26:25 PM »
I bought mine on line and I have never needed anything doing to it. It came with a DVD showing how to thread etc. Mind you, I have been thinking I was quite new to it and don't have the familiarity that I have with my sewing machine, but I found the receipt in the bottom of the bag recently and apparently I bought it in 2009! I do use it a lot.