The Sewing Place

Fabric advent calendars

Sheilago

Fabric advent calendars
« on: September 22, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
A few years ago I made myself an advent calendar, based on one I’d seen online.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I made all the little items , which was fun but very fiddly. You can’t see them in the photo as they are all in the pockets, but every one is different.

I’d like to make one again for my little grandson who is just 20 months and like the idea of a picture that builds up: my tree gets more and more full. I was hoping to do something a little less fiddly this time. Has anyone made something like this? Lots of the ones I see just have pockets, which don’t look any different as the days go on.

Acorn

Re: Fabric advent calendars
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
I haven't, but that is gorgeous.  I love the idea - so much more than having chocolate in the pockets!

I'd love to make one like this for my goddaughter and her soon-to-be sibling, but I won't have time this year.  She's a bit too young to understand this year anyway, but you have inspired me for the future.

Of course it might be a nice challenge to buy the things to hang on the tree... and less work!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »
That's a lovely idea; I really like it.

I made bunting advent calendars one year and supplied chocolates to go into each pocket and then the following year there was a complaint about the lack of chocolate!  :S
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
As my friend's children came along great granny made an advent calendar for each placing a tiny toy in the pockets. As she handed them over she laughed and said 'good luck finding that many tiny toys every year!' 72 had to be found each time.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 13:38:41 PM »
What a terrific idea Sheilago.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 16:26:42 PM »
I made these ... Gosh, almost 4 years ago ....
they were all lined with satin and we dont even have children or a proper tree to hang them from !!!

It nearly killed me!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 18:20:07 PM »
Gorgeous, Imi, but I’m looking for a quicker idea! 0_0

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 19:15:51 PM »
Those are fabulous but I'm not surprised they nearly killed you - so much work in those teeny, tiny little stockings.  :devil: but  <3 at the same time!
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath