The Sewing Place

1940s style

sewmuchmore

Re: 1940s style
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »
@Mocarroll   Neither of those links worked for me, I think you'd got extra www/ bits in the url.
https://www.tilthesungoesdown.com/category/patterns+and+treasures/ should work.
@BrendaP That doesn't work for me. See if this  does

This seems to be ok
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Kwaaked

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 09:58:14 AM »
Fabrics: Rayon crepe was popular as was jersey knit.  Think more like slinky knit rather then t-shirt.  Velvet was also a huge thing, but it was thin and not all that thick like we have now.

Cotton voile was also popular, and with a slip could work well. 

Colors were usually pretty much vibrant: navy, royal blue and red among others.  White was an accent color for them usually.  Also: green of any kind, beige, khaki, a dusty rose pink and mustard yellow.

Prints: florals are hard to reproduce with today's fabrics, especially on a short notice but you want smaller florals since the extra large one screams more of the 1950s.  If you're wanting a print think polka dots, white on a color would be preferable (color on white is more of a casual summer look).  While smaller dots were generally favored (not necessarily tiny pin dots, but small), large was also a popular choice that gained traction toward the mid-end of the 40s.

You can also go with plaid, the other staple of prints: gingham or border print (in another authentic fabric: broadcloth).

Solids were always popular.  And you did not always have ensembles in the same color.  Green/Red, Navy/Red, Khaki/Blue , Rose/Light blue etc. were very common and popular.

Trim is also a hallmark of 40s fashions.  While things wore in the evening usually did not attach lace and rick rack, they used embroidery, soutache and pleating to achieve a more glamorous look.

On the fat and short thing: I'm built for 40s fashion and I'm fat.  Biggest thing is the shoulders.  If you aren't broad shouldered, pad them out.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
@BrendaP That doesn't work for me. See if this  does

This seems to be ok

That does work for me.  It seems that it's the links to pages below the home page which are giving trouble.  Strange.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
Remember that in UK everything was in short supply during the 1940s and there was a lot of make-do-and-mend.  USA didn't have those shortages of materials.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »
Remember that in UK everything was in short supply during the 1940s and there was a lot of make-do-and-mend.  USA didn't have those shortages of materials.

Actually, most of what I typed was from UK fashion history, specifically Utility fashion and the Austerity movement.  While the US and the UK had differences, the Utility clothing and austerity movement did not stop trim being added, simply being sold.  Fabric were hard to get worldwide, not just in one place or another and all of the fabrics were available at the time on both sides of the Atlantic.

CC41 applied to the manufacture and taxes, and rayon and wool production were cut 25%.  While a massive loss of textile, they were still there.  Plus, crepe and velvet were popular in the 30s and fell into the Make do and mend part of it.  They also had to make only 85% under the CC41 regs, 15% were still allowed to be non-utility.

The Austerity movement dictated things like only able to have 2 pockets, the amount of materials used and allowed affordable clothes to hit the stores.  It still came in a variety of styles, colors and fabrics.  Several you can find show a ton of diverse Utility clothing from Linen afternoon dresses to satin evening wear.

https://www.candysays.co.uk/blogs/vintage-blog/6678856-cc41-utility-clothing-of-the-1940s

Lizzy777

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »

Yellowfeather

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 15:08:26 PM »
D.F, love the idea of a pinny and curlers, but not sure I have the right fabric to do it justice!!  Thank you all for your input, it has been really interesting reading.  I eventually went for something along the lines of the dress Lizzy777 posted, but I didn't have time to order the pattern, as I only had today to draft/sew it up, so I made it up.  Finger crossed it looks the part!!!!

Yellowfeather

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 15:11:34 PM »
Apologies, iPad would behave, so had to use my phone to attach the photo.  First time for everything!  :|

Racada

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 19:57:20 PM »
Looks convincing to me, I hope you enjoyed the quiz night.

I think working with what you already had is very authentic 1940's.

sdBev

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 00:02:27 AM »
I am going to a quiz evening next Saturday with a war time theme.  I was thinking of making a 1940s style dress to wear, but I am struggling to find a pattern or a starting point to draft one from.  Also, not really sure what kind of fabric to use, I am not massively bothered about it being authentic, just needs to look the part.  any ideas?????
what an interesting project.  I hope you share pics when it is finished.

Sewcycle

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 15:16:00 PM »
The hairstyle is also important. Wavy and pinned away from the face! Or little curlers all round the edges, and flattish on top if you have shorter hair.
'Is there a life before breakfast'