The Sewing Place

The best tool in the house

Gernella

The best tool in the house
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
I'm reaching the end of my Waffle Tostie Jacket.  I'd done two lovely plackets with the zip inserted, smoothed the right one across that covers the left and was nearly drooling, they were so perfect.  Next the lining inserted.  I've not used one pin on this project, just the clips as the fabric is shower proof and quite solid.  I knew I hadn't got enough for all the way round so I've ordered some more, then discovered they were from China so might be longer.  Just to see how things would match I did one side up to the top of the collar, flipping perfect.  I went to the other side, no clips left but just to see that seams would match at the top.

It was then I noticed something was not quite right, fine on top but the underside wrong.  I have no idea how it happened or why the heck I never noticed before.  The left zip was fine on the top but somehow the underneath of the zip was showing.  So I reached for the Mighty Stitch Ripper, my lovely Clover one.  Thankfully it was relatively easy to rectify and I'm back to perfection.  Sometimes I wonder where my brain disappears to.

At least I've sorted out how I'm doing the second collar with the faux fur on, or at least sorted out in my head.  The jacket collar band has snaps inserted on the outside for the hood to attach to.  I don't like hoods so I've reversed them and put on the inside.  Then the second collar with the faux fur on top will have the corresponding snap inserted on the collar band.  Sounds easy, just hope it works.   

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sheilago

Re: The best tool in the house
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 18:31:09 PM »
Mmmm, stitch rippers... I can never have enough of them in my sewing room! Glad you got it sorted so easily.

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 18:36:52 PM »
I have several seam rippers, but worry about losing the one with a flat curved blade.
Bought at a show years ago and no brand name.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 19:13:52 PM »
I have two branded seam rippers - Janome and Bernina - which came with my sewing machines, but the best one was a freebie on a sewing mag. It's pink and orange, with a large non-slip handle - much easier to grip when undoing stitches.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
I've got 4 sewing machines and one came with each but they are slimline and my Clover has a nice chunky handle for holding when my fingers are a bit stiff.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 15:58:16 PM »
@Sewingsue Do you mean one like this?

It's a Clauss Titanium Bonded Seam Ripper. I bought it some time a year or two ago but I know I've seen one very recently in a shop so that's likely The Cotton Patch or Franklin's Salisbury shop (or possibly both). It's not on the Cotton Patch website but they don't always have absolutely everything in the shop onliine so if you'd really like a backup it's probably worth an email (you can send my photo if you wish).  They even bought in a US product for me when I enquired. Franklin's don't sell online but will take orders by email & I think by phone too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 16:21:59 PM »
@Sewingsue Do you mean one like this?

It's a Clauss Titanium Bonded Seam Ripper. I bought it some time a year or two ago but I know I've seen one very recently in a shop so that's likely The Cotton Patch or Franklin's Salisbury shop (or possibly both). It's not on the Cotton Patch website but they don't always have absolutely everything in the shop onliine so if you'd really like a backup it's probably worth an email (you can send my photo if you wish).  They even bought in a US product for me when I enquired. Franklin's don't sell online but will take orders by email & I think by phone too.
That is the same blade shape, but a much better handle. Thanks, now I have a brand name to look for.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 13:18:29 PM »
That's a good one, it looks like it really means business.  I've put it on my wish list on Amazon so I don't forget the name as they are sold out.