The Sewing Place

Help me identify this

toileandtrouble

Help me identify this
« on: September 23, 2018, 17:18:05 PM »
Some years ago I bought a metre of - 'something' from Minerva crafts.  I found it, still in the posting bag but without an invoice, underneath my embroidery bits and pieces. It is 90cm wide, doesn't seem to have any glue on the back and it is quite stiff. It looks rather like Aertex fabric.  Can anyone tell me what it is and why I bought it?
And while you are here, what can be done with several metres of white Aertex type fabric, apart from sports shirts?
Many things coming to light recently, I can see I am going to be listing in the 'for sale' section soon.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

wrenkins

Re: Help me identify this
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 17:20:38 PM »
Can you check back on your Minerva account? I've never had to do that. No siree....not me! :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 18:37:30 PM »
It sounds like Aida cross stitch fabric.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 19:06:37 PM »
Thanks Wrenkins, but I think it was a one off purchase.  (So glad you've never had to do that yourself!)
Not Aida, Acorn, it is a papery sort of thing, like some interfacing but full of little holes like aertex.  Could it be embroidery backing of some sort, I wonder.

Nuttywife59

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:55:46 AM »
From your description it sounds like it could be either cutaway embroidery stabaliser or  interfacing of some kind.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »
If it is stiff papery type fabric, could it be this??
https://www.fabricland.co.uk/product/honeycomb-parc-100-polypropylene-fabric/.

ambro0

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 22:59:25 PM »
Is it "washaway" by any chance? Snip off a sliver and put it in hot water and see if it melts away....
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 22:15:07 PM »
Good idea, why didn't I think of that?  Had to wait until I found it again. And - it doesn't melt in hot water. Might try it with an iron tomorrow.  It does tear though, perhaps it is tearaway.  Thanks for trying to help folks.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
Ironed a scrap and it doesn't melt, it glues.  Strange, because I couldn't see any glue.  Now the puzzle is why did I buy it? I have a (large) stock of interfacings, so it must be for something  special.  It's  nicely bonded and reasonably firm. I think I'll try a blouse collar and see how that goes.