The Sewing Place

Fabric slueths needed!

justpottering

Fabric slueths needed!
« on: September 24, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
Now I know there are some amazing fabric sleuths on here so I am asking for some assistance  :)

I'm after some fabric like this
https://www.plumbs.co.uk/fabric-range/fabric-details/regency-floral-/

For curtains
I am going cross eyed looking for same or similar, so would appreciate any tips or ideas

Thanks in excited anticipation
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Greybird

Re: Fabric slueths needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »
Try here:

www.justfabrics.co.uk/fabric-shops/burford/

It looks like their kind of thing and they now sell online.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 16:09:51 PM »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

crafter

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 17:42:27 PM »
Have you asked Plumbs.  They might sell you some.

justpottering

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 22:03:03 PM »
I’ve emailed them crafter no reply yet that would be ideal as other similar fabrics seem a bit peely wally to me
JP

justpottering

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »
Well wadya know
Plumbs will we'll me the fabric 'their local representative will call me in the next five working days to discuss my fabric needs'
Who'd have thunk it  0_0

Methinks this is going to be expensive  :S
But I don't care I want it so I'm gonna have it  :P
JP

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 13:03:40 PM »
That's great!   
I expect I shall be sorry but I have to ask  "What is peely wally?"

justpottering

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 14:16:10 PM »
My husband who’s a Scot uses it to describe something that is washed out/not so bright
I have also heard members of his family use it to describe how they’re feeling if a bit off colour
JP

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 14:41:12 PM »
Well that's my 'something learned' for today. 

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »
Over here in Ulster/Scots land it's pronounced more 'paley wally' meaning a bit off colour.  :x
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

justpottering

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 15:56:39 PM »
Well a visit from the Plumbs lady (actually she was a girl looked about 14 to me  :S ) confirmed that I really like the fabric, however she did not know the width so I couldn't work out the meterage required
It is also £36 per meter so it's not like I can say I will guestimate and order 30 meters in case I need to consider pattern matching for multi-panelled curtains that would take the cost of two pairs (albeit large pairs) of curtains would cost more than £1000

Ahem..... not sure I love it that much  -<
JP

annieg

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 16:32:10 PM »
@justpottering It makes me wonder about skillsets nowadays..
The lady from Plumbs makes a personal visit to a potential customer for the specific purpose of discussing curtains and showing samples, but the lady from Plumbs doesn't know the width of the fabric?????

Regarding the cost, I was with my sister last Saturday who is having a bespoke pair of curtains made for a SMALL window in her new bedroom (they've just extended their house so they have a new master bedroom).
The cost of the curtains (window size I'm guessing is less than a metre high and about 1.3 metres across), with the curtains just sitting at the bottom of the window, plus a simple metal track, is £440!!!!!
(The fabric she chose was £36 per metre).

Annieg

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 16:49:30 PM »
@
The cost of the curtains (window size I'm guessing is less than a metre high and about 1.3 metres across), with the curtains just sitting at the bottom of the window, plus a simple metal track, is £440!!!!!
(The fabric she chose was £36 per metre).

A lot of curtain fabric is around 45-48" wide so she would probably need single widths.  Add on enough for heading, hems and pattern matching comes to around 3m fabric.  Plus lining, heading, track and other sundries; the materials will cost well in excess of £200, plus the skills and time of the person making the curtains and hanging them.  If she's bought through a shop they will take a cut on top of what the maker charges.  It sounds about right.  Good curtains aren't cheap.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 17:29:36 PM »
I think this is it: http://www.tissus-zanderino.be/tissus/tissus-de-decoration/jacquard/12127/jacquard-de-decoration-fleurs-creme-bordeaux-140cm

Less than half the price she quoted you + delivery. Actually I think shipping is free for that quantity.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 18:32:59 PM by Vezelay »

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 17:53:46 PM »
Clever Vezelay!!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.