The Sewing Place

Cheaper alternative to Art Gallery?

sewingj

Cheaper alternative to Art Gallery?
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
I`ve just finished my second top using Art Gallery Jersey.  I really love this fabric - it`s easy to sew, really comfortable to wear and comes in beautiful designs - but at £20+ per metre I can`t justify using it very often.

I suspect you pay a premium for the name so I`m wondering if anyone has come across something similar that wouldn`t break the bank?

Efemera

Re: Cheaper alternative to Art Gallery?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
In a word no... there’s nothing to compare with the variety of lovely prints.. and the quality that I’ve come across

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
I have had some good quality printed cotton jersey from My Fabrics but they don't have the variety of designs. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 15:59:03 PM »
Same here, they have some gorgeous stuff in Minerva, and the top I did make I do like wearing.  I was going to get more but three big projects got in the way so it fell by the wayside.  Next year I will devote the start of the year to summer tops in Art Galleryr fabric.

The only other fabric I've really liked for tops has come from Sherwoods, they seem to have more body in them.  I've also had a remnant, white with black dot dash stripes and got one long sleeve and a three quarter out of it.  That was a bargain. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 16:31:04 PM »
I've had some nice jersey prints from Girl Charlee UK. Quality is good but I wouldn't know how it compares with Art Gallery

ClareInStitches

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 21:39:01 PM »
I have just received my first order from Lamazi Fabrics, ( www.lamazifabrics.com ) an "OEKO - Tex Cotton Jersey. Actually it's 95% cotton and 5% spandex/lycra. I'm pretty impressed as the description was accurate and the fabric is great. Free p&p, too.  Might be worth your taking a glance?

Sorry, I bought what was left of the 'Lilly of the Valley' and very pretty it is, too! :-)

Should have said; it was £7.50 per 1/2m = £14.per metre. Gosh, fabric is expensive these days.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 21:43:39 PM by ClareInStitches »

Fiona M

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »
Thanks for that @ClareInStitches, just had a look and bookmarked the site.  Some beautiful fabrics there - love your lilies of the valley!  I mustn’t buy any more fabric until I’ve sewn up at least some of my stash though ...

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
Ack!  Thanks (I think!) @ClareInStitches , what a lovely selection of fabrics.  But I MUST NOT buy, I MUST NOT buy......... (how long, do you reckon before the willpower goes???  :devil:)

Fiona M

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »
@Nevis5 I hope you lasted longer than I did ...  :o
And it’s shipped already!

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »
Very tempting - and their Art Gallery is cheaper than Minerva`s!

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 18:11:09 PM »
Hmm, I've ordered a couple of bits of fabric and had a 'despatched' e mail just half an hour after placing my order.
I like the fact that delivery is free.
Life's too short for ironing.

Happymrsg

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 22:58:43 PM »
I bought this at Abakhan in Manchester in one of the bins that are sold by weight . I don't remember what I paid but it was a lot, lot less than £20 a
metre. Now I don't know whether it's suitable for what I wanted wanted it for. It's very stretchy and not very drapey. I went for it because I knew Art Gallery Fabrics are good quality and pricey so I had to have it!  AGF