The Sewing Place

Fabric slueths needed!

Kenora

Re: Fabric slueths needed!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 17:59:37 PM »
Good curtains are definitely not cheap. We paid over £500 for a pair to be made for our lounge a few years ago. Admittedly they are full length for an 8' wide window so they were far too heavy for me to handle myself. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
I think this is it: http://www.tissus-zanderino.be/tissus/tissus-de-decoration/jacquard/12127/jacquard-de-decoration-fleurs-creme-bordeaux-140cm

Less than half the price she quoted you + delivery. Actually I think shipping is free for that quantity.

It's also interesting to see the Vezelay's site gives far more information about the fabric (width and composition!!) than Plumbs do on their website. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 18:31:01 PM »
She doesn't know the width  >< not much of a sales person then if she cannot work out what her customers require.
@BrendaP I have never come across (or used) curtain fabric less than 58 inch wide.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 23:50:09 PM »
The last pair I made are 55" fabric - I've just measured them.  I think it's upholstery stuff that is (or was) usually a little bit narrower
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 13:00:21 PM »
Not gone right through the range but the nearest I have seen so far is this:

https://www.montgomery.co.uk/made-to-measure-curtains/belvoir-02-chintz/1849

The one on Tissus looks a much closer pattern.

Sometimes when you really want something, second best won't do, best to dig your plastic out.  I've done that and 20 years later I still love them. Think of it as an investment.

I've actually got the Montgomery Belvour one as a front door curtain and although it's swirly the actual flower is much paler than your Plumb one. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

crafter

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 18:16:16 PM »
@justpottering, I used to make loose covers for Plumbs.  Be careful if you should decide to buy that fabric because everthing I used had been treated with a rubbery backing so that the covers did not slip.  I would think this process would be done before Plumbs took delivery.  Also, Plumbs do not make the fabric, so they must be buying it from a manufacturer.  But who ...? 

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 18:56:38 PM »
That could explain the difference between Plumbs' price and the one fro the company Vezelay found - they would be paying more for it if it had been treated.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

justpottering

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 20:08:49 PM »
Good point @crafter I’ve bookmarked vezalays link it’s the same one and I’ve said no thanks to plumbs  :)
DH said to think of it as an investment too although his eyebrows shot up when I told him the price  0_0
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 20:10:45 PM by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

crafter

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »
Are these curtains for the new house @justpottering?  If so, I would agree with your OH.  As long as you are sure that you will still like the design in many years to come then go for it.  Buy it cheap, buy it twice, as they say.

justpottering

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 15:37:59 PM »
They certainly are Crafter and having seen the fabric close up there are options to change the room décor if I fancy a change oh in about 20 years or so  0_0
I think they will suit what else I have planned for the sitting room, and as that also includes new furniture, I won't be changing it in a hurry

I will make my final decision when we actually get there and see if the room lends itself to what I have planned I certainly hope so otherwise it's back to the drawing board

I will admit to spending more on home furnishing fabrics than other things because all that effort required I want a nice finish that is achieved by some seriously nice fabrics

I can't wait  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea