The Sewing Place

Help with stretchy neckline please

sewingj

Help with stretchy neckline please
« on: September 27, 2018, 18:56:45 PM »
I`m just about to make this - view C but with longer sleeves

https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-asymmetrical-seam-detail-tops-mccalls-pattern-7323?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15mhzt_b3QIVzZPtCh0rFQmpEAQYAiABEgInMvD_BwE

I`ve made it twice before and the neckline is slightly too wide - which presumably I can correct by just adding some on.  But it also has a tendency to stretch - it is just finished with a narrow hem. What would be the best way to stabilise it? 

I`ve using  some nice Art Gallery jersey which is fairly stable. 

This is a bit of a rushed job so I don`t really want to be sending off for special tape etc (I have got plenty of interfacing - stretch and otherwise if that is of any use)

sewingj

Re: Help with stretchy neckline please
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 19:07:19 PM »
@Francesca  - no there isn`t a neckband - you just make a narrow hem at the neck edge.  It might be ok with this Art Gallery jersey but I have made it before in a viscose jersey and that stretched terribly
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 19:18:12 PM by sewingj »

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 19:22:49 PM »
Would it be easy to put a neckband on?  I wouldn`t know how long to make it
(this fabric was expensive so I`m nervous of messing it up)

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 19:29:25 PM »
Other McCalls patterns do this too eg M6886 but most people change this to a neck band, including me. With stretchier fabric that's definitely the way to go imo. I'd just cut the neckline lower by the band's height - nothing worse than a saggy neckline! I found a Colette tutorial on neck bindings when I first did one. The band method is No 1. I'll post the link from my computer in a minute

Here it is. Lots of other tutorials around of course. I like to topstitch the seam allowance down, makes the band sit better.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 19:33:35 PM by Vezelay »

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 19:45:34 PM »
I've done necklines like this without a neckband and they have worked out okay. I overlocked the edge before stitching it down. Perhaps you could stay stitch the neckline, but you may want to remove it in the end as the knit won't give at all when you pull it over your head. That happened to me recently and removing the staystitching put it right.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 07:56:57 AM »
@Francesca   Thanks very much - I reckon I could manage that.

@Vezelay  thanks too - that looks like a really useful tutorial - have bookmarked it
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:58:52 AM by sewingj »