The Sewing Place

needing new machine

calico

needing new machine
« on: September 28, 2018, 13:33:53 PM »
For the first time in my life I have the money to buy a really decent sewing machine and would like your advise/ opinion about what you think is a good buy.
my present main machine is an Elna club that I`v had since it was released many years ago and its still going strong. I love the needle up/down and top loading bobbin. however I have always been disappointed that it struggles over seams and the thread bunching up underneath on starting sewing. I also have a singer 401 slant o matic fitted inside a hugh table .It sews very fine fabrics like a dream having a separate foot and plate for straight stitching if I could incorporate that in a new machine I could sell this one as I rarely use it now.

I`m only a hobby sewer but  occasionally I mass produce tote bags for a charity sale so, speed would be nice and an overlocking type of stitch essential . To add to my dream machine and automatic thread cuter, a knee foot lifter and a bit more room would be useful. Finally I have seen machines that have a higher level of foot lift to fit in bulky fabrics.

Is here a machine that fits my wish list ? Under  £2000 ?

annieg

Re: needing new machine
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 13:58:31 PM »
@calico
FYI the atelier 5 is on offer (I've just bought one) at 899 to include quilting kit with large extension table (value £189).
I've ordered mine from David Drummond in Edinburgh.
Annieg

calico

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 14:06:19 PM »
I have an Atelier 5 which has a knee lift, thread cutter by push button (not automatic but I believe the higher models do), is good size, lots of stitches, top loading bobbin. I really like it. The Atelier range is popular round here.

Thanks Francesca I have never heard of that one , I watched a video on U tube there and see it was sewing machine of the year last year.

calico

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 14:31:54 PM »
@calico
FYI the atelier 5 is on offer (I've just bought one) at 899 to include quilting kit with large extension table (value £189).
I've ordered mine from David Drummond in Edinburgh.
Annieg

I`v also found it on a site sewing machines direct for the same price with free quilting extension able. It seems to do every thing I would want. does it have an extra plate for straight stiching ? what the speed like ? I can`t believe the price ! has anyone had any dealings with this site ?

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 14:35:12 PM »
Juki is worth looking at too. I can list a couple that are worth looking at but if you ring Franklins for some advice, tell them what you are looking for in a sewing machine they should be able to recommend some machines which would meet your requirements. I got my Juki from Frankins some time ago.

https://www.franklinsgroup.com/product-category/sewing-machines/juki/
Speak to Laurence Franklin

Franklins also sell Janome, Bernina, Brother.  I do have a Janome too.

I got great advice and support from them a couple of years ago.

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 14:38:36 PM »
I`v also found it on a site sewing machines direct for the same price with free quilting extension able. It seems to do every thing I would want. does it have an extra plate for straight stiching ? what the speed like ? I can`t believe the price ! has anyone had any dealings with this site ?

I bought my coverstitch from SMD. But I would advise you not to rush into buying a new sewing machine until you have looked at several and different models too and looked at the pros and cons  :)

calico

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 15:00:34 PM »
I bought my coverstitch from SMD. But I would advise you not to rush into buying a new sewing machine until you have looked at several and different models too and looked at the pros and cons  :)

I know Lizzy but I`m so excited . I do know what I want in my new machine but then I`d hate to make a purchase and see another I would have prefered . I have now seen Janome MC6700P and I could afford that and I think it may be fast as well but would I use any of the extras ? I don`t think so and  it dosnt have a free arm.

I`ve looked at the other machine you mentioned . It has lots of actions controlled by the foot control even foot up after tread trimming . I`be afraid of that , my Elna foot control costs a fair bit to fix when it playes up.
I have really only started looking so I will as you suggest , take my time before I buy.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 15:08:09 PM »
If you possibly can it is worth going to a bricks and mortar shop to try some out.  You can take some samples of the types of fabrics you usually sew and see how the various machines cope and which manufacturer's layout of controls you prefer.

It may not work out any more expensive to buy from them either: when I did  this the shop met the best internet price I could find.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 15:09:58 PM »
I have a Brother Innovis 1800q. It has all you want 9 not sure of overlocking stitch as I don't know what it is ) It has a big space and an extension table. Costs about £1200 i think
Triumph of hope over experience :D

calico

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 15:22:51 PM »
I have a Brother Innovis 1800q. It has all you want 9 not sure of overlocking stitch as I don't know what it is ) It has a big space and an extension table. Costs about £1200 i think

The overlocking stitch I mentioned is just something that finishes off the edges to stop material fraying like a ZigZag .

There is not a great choice of shops over here for the mentioned machines and I don`t drive which makes things difficult. I`ll Have a look at the brother Lowena thanks.

arrow

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 15:22:57 PM »
I think I would go for a Bernina, built in upper feed, stitch regulator, firm build,... I would keep my old straight stitcher along side it. I use it for all kind of stuff, from reupholstering bike seats, sometimes stitching through plastic, cardboard, and odd material. It's a fine machine, but it feels different than the more advanced computerised models. What ever model you end up buying, test it with top stitch thread and special threads you use, not all models are as flexible as we expect them to be. Make sure what you spend your money on is an actual improvement for the type of sewing you do, not just a new machine.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 15:24:40 PM by arrow »

calico

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 15:25:39 PM »
If you possibly can it is worth going to a bricks and mortar shop to try some out.  You can take some samples of the types of fabrics you usually sew and see how the various machines cope and which manufacturer's layout of controls you prefer.

It may not work out any more expensive to buy from them either: when I did  this the shop met the best internet price I could find.

thanks Goth and If there is anyone on the forum from NI I would appreciate any info about shops with a good range of machines. I did google but not much came up.

calico

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 15:30:31 PM »
I have an Atelier 5 which has a knee lift, thread cutter by push button (not automatic but I believe the higher models do), is good size, lots of stitches, top loading bobbin. I really like it. The Atelier range is popular round here.

Just wondering Francesca about cops of suitable thread for this machine . I use the very large cops , catching it on the edge of the spool thingy on my Elna . would it be possible to use the large cops with the Atelier ?

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 17:58:16 PM »
Try a Pfaff if you have a dealer nearby. The built in 'even feed' works at all speeds, enables fine fabrics to be stitched without bunching up. I have the Creative 3 which has an embroidery add-on but if you didn't want that there are other models in the range, all have large harps, even feed, go VERY fast if you need but equally mine will do 1 stitch at a time when I want. Needle up/down, thread cutter all as standard. It does run at high thread tension, it might not like your large cops of thread if they're the in fluffy type that's designed for overlockers though.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 00:14:09 AM »

I`m only a hobby sewer but  occasionally I mass produce tote bags for a charity sale so, speed would be nice and an overlocking type of stitch essential .

You don't get proper overlocking on a regular lockstitch machine.

If your budget is £2000 you should be able to get a decent machine that does what you want and an overlocker.  Have a look at the Sewing Machines Direct website to get an idea of what you can get for your money.  They are good, and will give you sound advice by phone, but they don't stock all brands ie Bernina or Juki.  Best if you can get to a proper bricks and morter shop to try out any machine before you buy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.