The Sewing Place

needing new machine

So Chic

Re: needing new machine
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »
Sewing Machine World are another company which has good recommendations so it would be worth having a look at their site.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
@calico the only dealer that I know of is in Ballymena and they do Singer, Pfaff, Elna & Janome according to their website. You can get a train.
You'll read on here "I have no shop...the closest one is 30,40,50 miles away. When we say we have no shop...WE HAVE NO SHOP! The end.  0_0
With that budget I'd be tempted to go to the mainland and visit one of the big suppliers (SMD) over a couple of days. I'm sure someone must have done that. Good luck.
And if you hear of any dressmaking classes would you let me know please. We have none of those either.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

calico

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 13:54:51 PM »
@calico the only dealer that I know of is in Ballymena and they do Singer, Pfaff, Elna & Janome according to their website. You can get a train.
You'll read on here "I have no shop...the closest one is 30,40,50 miles away. When we say we have no shop...WE HAVE NO SHOP! The end.  0_0
With that budget I'd be tempted to go to the mainland and visit one of the big suppliers (SMD) over a couple of days. I'm sure someone must have done that. Good luck.
And if you hear of any dressmaking classes would you let me know please. We have none of those either.  :S

I live in Belfast so a bit of a trek  though being over 65 I get free bus and train. I`ll maybe give them a ring or if they are on face book to see what they stock . I keep coming back to the  Janome MC6700P as I rarly use a free arm and anyway my Elna has one.Also as BrendaP sugested I could stretch to an additional overlocking machine though I have never used one before.

Our womans group , now gone, set up a craft class  years ago  with a tutor from the tec . I believe some of the ladies did their City and guild cert via it. Unfortunately the sewing machines seem to have gone now and the group have diversified into card making . Did you try the colleges or perhaps local womans groups for classes ?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 13:59:55 PM by calico »

calico

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 14:31:33 PM »
I think I would go for a Bernina, built in upper feed, stitch regulator, firm build,... I would keep my old straight stitcher along side it. I use it for all kind of stuff, from reupholstering bike seats, sometimes stitching through plastic, cardboard, and odd material. It's a fine machine, but it feels different than the more advanced computerised models. What ever model you end up buying, test it with top stitch thread and special threads you use, not all models are as flexible as we expect them to be. Make sure what you spend your money on is an actual improvement for the type of sewing you do, not just a new machine.

Thanks arrow , that actually a good idea . I have a fortune worth  of coloured large thread cops and it would be nice to test them out on a new machine before I buy. I would also like to sew top stitch on  quite thick leatherette .

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 18:26:06 PM »
What do you mean by "large cops" of thread?  Cops are usually smallish cylindrical put-ups of thread, ie Moon thread.  The large put-ups are usually cones - as designed for overlockers.  You can't generally use those directly on any ordinary domestic machine, but you can get stands to place them on; put the stand behind the machine, bring the thread around the spool pin and then through the guides as usual.
https://textileapex.blogspot.com/2014/11/different-thread-packages.html
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 19:29:34 PM »
Just being curious, @BrendaP - where does the term "put-ups" come from? It's something I've never heard before.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

calico

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 21:42:02 PM »
What do you mean by "large cops" of thread?  Cops are usually smallish cylindrical put-ups of thread, ie Moon thread.  The large put-ups are usually cones - as designed for overlockers.  You can't generally use those directly on any ordinary domestic machine, but you can get stands to place them on; put the stand behind the machine, bring the thread around the spool pin and then through the guides as usual.
https://textileapex.blogspot.com/2014/11/different-thread-packages.html

Cones is what I mean and a seperate stand would do the job . The cone thread work well on my machines , looks the same  as the smaller cops.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 21:45:41 PM by calico »

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 22:56:49 PM »
where does the term "put-ups" come from? It's something I've never heard before.
@Kenora I don't know where the term comes from but it's an industrial term which means the way that different quantities of something is packaged.  You might find ribbon in 5m packs or 50 m rolls, or a dozen hooks and eyes on a card or a box with 100 of them; same products different put-ups.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 23:07:13 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Brenda. You learn something new every day. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

calico

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 13:38:56 PM »
me again, just wondering if anyone has a janome  8200QCP it has been recommended b to me from a shop owner over here  thought I havn`t travelled up to Ballymena  to  see it  . I have looked at some vidios of it and it does all that I would want though I don`t know how I would use my large cones  with it . I have been offered a special edition ( don`t know what`s special about it ) for £1240 delivered .

Lizzy777

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 14:08:44 PM »
Did you want a combined sewing and embroidery machine? I would spend my money on the best sewing machine I could afford, rather than on a combined one unless I wanted the embroidery part. Try ringing Frank Nutt or Franklins and tell them what you want from a sewing machine and am sure they will give you lots of advice and recommendations for you to ponder over and have a look at the machines online.

I think a lot of people buy their machines online these days and I know I have spoken to both those companies about sewing machines (long conversations) and they were more than happy to give advice with no strings attached.

They both sell all the main machines so you are not limited to advice on a certain brand.

I think Sellers to send to Northern Ireland don't they?

lizzy

StitchinTime

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 14:41:39 PM »
I don't think of the Janome 8200QCP as a combined sewing and embroidery machine - it does some fancy stitches and lettering but it doesn't have a separate embroidery module as the combination machines do.

If you want to use large cones with it, you can get a stand-alone thread stand that sits behind the machine (that's a lot of standing and sitting in one sentence!). There are a few different types available and I am sure someone on here can recommend one.

Lizzy777

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 15:03:42 PM »
I don't think of the Janome 8200QCP as a combined sewing and embroidery machine - it does some fancy stitches and lettering but it doesn't have a separate embroidery module as the combination machines do.

Ooops sorry. I haven't looked at it carefully enough and am ill in bed with a bug! My only excuse  :S

Going to look at it now.

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 15:12:02 PM »
Yes, it's a described as a quilting and sewing machine. Can't think why I misread that. Apologies again for my error. It's down as £1299 at Frank Nutt too with free delivery so there must be a promotion on at present for this model.

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/janome-sewing-machines/janome-horizon-8200qcp

Have a look at this one too. Its 1200 stitches a second if you want something
faster too?

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/janome-sewing-machines/janome-6700p

lizzy  :)

calico

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 17:53:53 PM »
Yes, it's a described as a quilting and sewing machine. Can't think why I misread that. Apologies again for my error. It's down as £1299 at Frank Nutt too with free delivery so there must be a promotion on at present for this model.

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/janome-sewing-machines/janome-horizon-8200qcp

Have a look at this one too. Its 1200 stitches a second if you want something
faster too?

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/janome-sewing-machines/janome-6700p

lizzy  :)

That`s my two favourite machines at the minute Lizzy. I`m now more inclined to buy from the Ballymena shop as I`ve  had a few expensive items damaged in transit from the mainland . Unfortunately his price for the Janome MC6700P isnt nearly as good as sewing machines direct ( £1439 and free postage )