The Sewing Place

Help with choosing sewing machine please!

Beth-M

Help with choosing sewing machine please!
« on: September 28, 2018, 16:52:11 PM »
Hey,

I'm new to sewing machines, I had a basic machine from my Mum and started making dog bandanas for my dog. I have also made a few collars on this machine but I think the fabric is too thick for the poor machine and I feel I have now messed up this machine! So now I am looking to buy a new machine which can handle the thicker materials.

The material I'm trying to sew is cushion webbing wrapped in cotton fabric, this is then folded over and sewn to attach the hardware and secure the collar. The thickness of the two layers together is 8-10mm so I need a machine that can cope with that.

After a little research I am looking at the Singer Heavy Duty 4411 and the Toyota J17 Super Jeans. So my question is would these be ok for what I want and is one better than the other? Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Help with choosing sewing machine please!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 19:13:53 PM »
That's a lot for any domestic machine to cope with.  I'd certainly steer clear of the Singer Heavy Duty.  HD it definitely isn't!   
I think you need a second hand metal bodied machine.  But that depth is quite a lot and some machines may not have the space under the foot.  I have an old Pfaff 30 and it pretty much copes with anything but I don't think I'd have the room under the foot for that depth.  I could have had it altered when I got it but chose not to. 

arrow

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 20:21:01 PM »
The general presser foot lift on a domestic machine is about 8 mm. On some you can push it a bit over seams and bumps and it will be fine (like a 201), others will have tension interefered with. I can push my 201 a bit more than my 99 if I remember correctly. You can search for a model with a high presser foot lift, also called high shank. They turn up now and then but aren't the most common. If you need the machine to hande 10 mm more than a few stiches, like over a seam or bump, you need a high shank.

For the Singer and Toyota models you mentioned, they will cope with hemming up jeans, but that is their limit. They maybe heavy duty compared to other low priced models, but they are regular domestic machines. I have seen both first hand, they are not the worst of budget machines, but their advantage is mostly buttonholer function and a few stretchy stitches.

If you can get by with a basic presser foot lift (low shank) take a look at an old cast iron model, something like a Singer 15 or 201,  Pfaff 30 or 31, maybe a Husqvarna CB or a Jones will be up to the job. These straight stitchers are sturdy enough to handle webbing and dog collars, and they turn up at a good price.

Janome have some Easy Jeans models like 22 and 1800, and they have a higher presser foot lift. These two are very similar and relatively sturdy models, but they are still nothing like a cast iron straight stitcher. A new machine cost a bit more, and are still within the basic sewing machine range.

For something more than that you have too look at an industrial model with high presser foot lift. Most used industrial machines that turn up around here have the basic low presser foot lift of around 8 mm.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 14:05:23 PM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 20:54:40 PM »
I was going to say Singer 15 or 201 or Pfaff 30...

The 15 is legendary for sewing tin cans in demos... don’t think I’d do it myself.

The 201 is famously the smoothest sewing machine built by Singer and was an exceptional home stitcher but good enough to do professional sewing too.

The Pfaff 30 is excellent too, mine is smooth touchy about threading but utterly unfussy once you get sewing. I’ve used it felled and overlapped seams.

Enjoy! :) 
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Beth-M

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 17:31:51 PM »
Thank you guys I will have a look into these machines!

Beth-M

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 20:44:19 PM »
So I've just brought a Singer 201k! It was selling locally on ebay so now I just have to go pick it up and learn how to use it, hope it's not too different to my brother HC14! Haha!

arrow

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 21:23:58 PM »
If it's the old cast iron type, it's heavy, so bring your car or at least something with wheels! A 201K is a joy to sew on and endlessly better than your Brother. If it's the later aluminium version it weighs considerably less, but it's the same machine internally.

Like with any new machine you have to check threading and the machines I have bought have needed a good clean inside and out. The old machines need oil. It's a very capable and user friendly model.

Your old machine has zigzag and various stitch patterns, and if it still in one piece you might still get some use of it. Your old machine probably isn't the worst, but they aren't always made for heavier work. I hope you don't push your 201K too hard, but it's hard to fault this model in any way.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 21:30:48 PM by arrow »

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 07:08:52 AM »
it's the old cast iron type, it's heavy, so bring your car or at least something with wheels!
HeHe I did smirk at the thought of @Beth-M just casually "picking it up"! 0_0
Brace yourself!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Roger

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 19:00:51 PM »
After the initial weight get ready for smooth weightless sewing, it’ll probably need some cleaning and oil, but they are glorious after that. An absolutely top of the line straight stitcher!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 19:21:27 PM »
Don't be silly, they weigh next to nothing - we've all seen 'The Dressmaker'.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Roger

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 20:43:13 PM »
Don't be silly, they weigh next to nothing - we've all seen 'The Dressmaker'.

It’s that pic where she frolics with a 201k2... she’s must be very butch but hides it well!

arrow

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 01:56:41 AM »
How did it turn out?