The Sewing Place

Pattern Lab review

sewmuchmore

Pattern Lab review
« on: September 28, 2018, 18:12:53 PM »
After having a few mishaps this year with garments I have made I decided to go back to basics and draft some new blocks as it was a while since I did mine.
I came across this site via Threads Magazine and decided to give it a go, thinking it must be easier than drafting your own.
You have to take precise measurement to create your own profile and there is a measurement sheet that you can download here.
You then enter your measurement to create the blocks. so far so good
However the programme works on a reliable standard range and when you start to input your measurement if they don't fall within the range you get a warning message that the block either cannot be made or will produce an unusual block.

So if you are a standard size you will find this easy to use and get ready made blocks. Me, i am not standard, it tells me my back width and waist is greater than they should be, my hips are smaller than they should be and waist to knee is too short, tell me something i didn't know. So i won't be spending £7.99 on blocks i then have to start altering.

What i did find usefull was to take all my measurments as it has been a while since i last did this and with this info i will draft my own blocks.

It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

Re: Pattern Lab review
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 18:16:55 PM »
I think it's very rude!   :P
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewcycle

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
I don't think I want to try 'rude ' or dismissive pattern block software  :S I tend to work without blocks and just have an accurate sense of my figure. It hasn't let me down so far. Though I'm sure a block is essential if developing your own pattern. However I do have a notebook with all my measurements in, even down to odd quirky ones like knee to ankle etc. I find that invaluable.

Would getting a plain dress pattern from Lekala not do nearly as well, and probably cheaper?
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 14:00:36 PM »
I seem to remember that Lekala do blocks as well.  Not sure whether they do them for every garment type, but I've certainly seen at least one block there.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 14:25:12 PM »
What's the point of it then? Presumably if we all fitted into little boxes our measurements would all be the same! Ergo no need for your "rude" site :S I wonder what it would make of my 10" FBA  0_0 It would tell me to sit down in case I tip forwards....or grow bigger feet because my size fours aren't up to the job!!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 14:57:31 PM »
I love the typos they didn't spot - their newly created word 'popint' as in 'neck popint to bust' is mildly entertaining  0_0
Now, if they'd promise to send me a pressie, I might divulge my DOB to them...  :devil: