The Sewing Place

Bernina Bernette 440

Holly Berry

Bernina Bernette 440
« on: November 04, 2018, 13:04:54 PM »
I’ve just inherited this machine from my Aunt, who sadly passed away in October aged 95.

I have searched online but have found out very little about the machine. I suspect it just falls into the vintage category as she hadn’t sewn for 15 years or so and probably had the machine for quite a while before that.

Unfortunately during the house clearance the foot pedal and lead has gone missing, but I’ve managed to get a new clam shell pedal and lead. I was reluctant to let the machine go as it’s a Bernina, so it’s joined my others. It’s a small machine, but still quite heavy as it’s a metal body. Straight stitch, with zig zag, overlock and a few edging/finishing stitches, but no decorative stitches.

Does anyone know anything about this machine?
Procrastination get behind me

Efemera

Holly Berry

Re: Bernina Bernette 440
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 14:06:45 PM »
@Efemera thanks for the link. Fortunately the original manual was with the machine. Perhaps the picture on the front gave my non sewing relatives a clue when they were packing stuff up haha

arrow

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 14:33:12 PM »
Some of the early Bernettes were quite sturdy and capable. The 1990s models are made in Asia, not sure where, but I know Bernina made every effort possible to keep a high standard on build and parts. It does have a good selection of utility stitches. If you are lucky it can be given a gentle DIY maintanance, they will need oil as the years go buy; the tricky thing is to figure out which type and where it should go.  If it's in nice condition it's worth keeping; someone will be interested in a usable machine.

Have you had a look under the top cover and the top of the freearm? The knobs aren't too far from my 900 Nova, and the older 800 series.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 16:58:58 PM by arrow »

daisy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 20:33:01 PM »
I noticed by chance a few months back that that range of Bernettes has similar-looking Riccar machines with the same model numbers. So, in this case Riccar 440. Presumably they came from the same factory. Would need further investigation but it could give you more options if looking for info or parts.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 00:12:05 AM »
Riccar has made good machines, but I don't know too much about them. In comparison with any brand, a Bernina usually comes out more smooth running and with neater zigzag. My comparsion in mostly the older 730, 830, and a 900 Nova. I can't rember exactly, but I have used 1980s Berninas too. For some reason there have been a few Berninas around me, and I have only owned two of them. The new ones are different, I have tried a couple of them, and they are nice. 

I looked up Riccar 440, and it's spot on this Bernette. I wonder why these badged machines are sold as Bernette and we are told they are developed in cooperation with Bernina? They say Husqvarna are Scandinavian technology, Elna are Swiss developed technology, Pfaff German,... a bit hard to trust the claims. On the other hand, the turn knobs on the 440 are not too far from 1970s and 80s Bernina.

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. You’re quite right @arrow, there is a badge on the machine stating made in Taiwan for Fritz Gegauf Ltd, which was the name of the Bernina Co. Riccar is Japanese, so possibly one or other made under license in the same factory. Sewingparts.co.uk have quite a few spares and the chap there is helpful.

The machine is in good working order, but is really dry. The manual only states to oil the bobbin race, and I can’t see any other oil holes. When I get time I’ll take the case off and give it the once over. My Aunt was meticulous about keeping it clean, so no lint and no scratches. I’ll keep it for taking to patchwork, to save my Featherweight, which is more precious and not really able to do appliqué.

arrow

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 14:18:28 PM »
Has anyone decided on an oil for computerised machines? I guess the basic sewing machine oil is a good alternative. There is a website were a service guy is showing how they service machines in their shop, and he tells they use Superlube, the kind we buy in a pen shaped dispenser. It's very light, some use if for watches, and I don't think it lasts very long. My favorite has been Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube, but I have used it for machines no older than 1980s, most of them 1950s. A step motor shouldn't make much difference, but lots of ciruit boards and electronic push button displays can be more sensitive to spills. From the exterior, the 440 looks like it should be relatively easy to handle.