The Sewing Place

Lidl

annieg

Lidl
« on: September 29, 2018, 13:27:20 PM »
Singer sewing machine and singer overlocker in Lidl from next Sunday 6 October plus a nifty sewing table.
Annieg

calico

Re: Lidl
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 13:39:26 PM »
Singer sewing machine and singer overlocker in Lidl from next Sunday 6 October plus a nifty sewing table.
Annieg

I saw that annieg and a great price too

calico

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 15:15:00 PM »
can`t see an overlocker advertised over here just the Singer brilliance. They have a sewing table though £49

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 15:35:45 PM »
I have a Singer Brilliance as a back up machine and it is really very good. The buttonholes are incredible. I paid a good bit more than the Lidl price though.  :'(

The one design thing I don't like is that you have to take the accessories box off the front to change the bobbin. This also means you can't see when the bobbin is running low. I've got used to a drop in bobbin with a clear plastic cover in my older Janome which seems a much better design feature. However, the Singer is a good basic machine with several one step buttonholes and the Lidl price is good.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

annieg

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 15:48:35 PM »
My brochure definitely shows overlocker and machine and cabinet ...
annie

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 18:43:16 PM »
Doesn't availability of items depend on what they supply to your local branch? Or am I talking :fish: wollop? (That's meant to be codswollop not fishwollop  :D ).

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's the case, they never seem to have anything good at my local lidl.

calico

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 13:22:06 PM »
My brochure definitely shows overlocker and machine and cabinet ...
annie

I don`t know why but over here in Northern Ireland we don`t always get all of the offers, so disappointing sometimes . maybe we have smaller stores ? I have a local app on my phone now.
Good price for the table, its the same as the one on Wayfair for £164.99. Very tempted
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 13:38:55 PM by calico »

crafter

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 14:12:09 PM »
I used to buy some useful stuff in Lidl, now it just looks like a jumble sale and I walk straight past.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 16:11:18 PM »
In case anyone searches this thread looking for info. about buying a sewing machine from Lidl...
I bought the Singer overlocker from Lidl for €160 and it works very well and suits my needs. I imagine a more experienced sewer might find it a bit basic compared to a much more expensive brand but I think it’s very good value for money.
I know everyone advises to visit a reputable sewing machine shop to try the machines out and I agree this is a sensible option, but where I live, there’s no shops within a reasonable distance (outside of Dublin), so I think Lidl offers a good purchasing option.
Also, they have a long warranty and there’s never any issue if you want to return it. (My local store has always been very helpful)
A friend bought a basic singer sewing machine from Lidl and had a problem about a year later. She rang the helpline and they sent her out a brand new machine and didn’t want the original one back so she gave that one to her daughter who lives in Dublin, and she was able to get it fixed locally.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 16:53:00 PM »
I've never shopped in Lidl or Aldi. I prefer to use British supermarkets
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 18:18:42 PM »
A Singer overlocker for 160 euros sounds very good value @WildAtlanticWay particularly when you know they will sort out any problems - can't really go wrong at that price, especially if you are miles away from other sewing machine shops.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 18:57:31 PM »
Congratulations! You should love that serger/overlocker. It's the newer model of what I have. Mine is only 3-4 thread stitches. I've been using it for, gosh, 12 -14 years. Only problems have been operator error, like not seating the thread properly in the tension disk and a couple of years when I put the foot pedal in a different cupboard panic cleaning one day and took forever to find it. Doh!

That price is almost identical to what it sells for here. If I were buying a pricier machine, over 500 USD or 400 GBP, I might go to a dealer to try out and purchase. But if you're good at learning from a manual and confident in your abilities it's less important on the mid range and introductory machines. When I bought my Brother sewing /embroidery machine I went to the dealer and they really pressured me to buy that day. The machine was identical to the Big Box version except with Disney designs built in, for $400 more.  :S I went home to think about it and the next week got an e-mail about new markdowns for their going out of business sale that started the day after I was in there. All the extra stuff they hyped, like free cleaning and lessons wasn't going to happen and they knew it. Really soured me on the advantages of buying from a dealer. BTW they had been in business for at least 15 years so not a fly by night at all.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sakar

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 21:58:35 PM »
Thanks for this feedback @WildAtlanticWay , it's always good to know, if such offers are worthless or a good opportunity!!  :)