The Sewing Place

Seam ripper moment or creative opportunity

jen

Seam ripper moment or creative opportunity
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
Have you noticed that when something goes wrong, that's often when you get your most inventive? I've just come back to a project that had to be left for a month. It's a jacket, pretty simple really, except that I'm quilting it. I'd got the front and back assembled, stitching the side seams and shoulder seams by machine in the outer fabric and turning in the lining along the seams and hand sewing them down. Too bad I hadn't worked out how I was going to put pockets in. This has been the latest (in a long line) of 'opportunities' for puzzling out how to bodge over mistakes.
Anyone else involved in project rescue?

b15erk

Re: Seam ripper moment or creative opportunity
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
Yup!  I have many 'design opportunities' waiting for inspiration to strike.....

One in particular has been catching my eye, simply because I love the fabric, which frays like the devil. 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jen

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
Aargh, fraying fabric - I feel your pain.

HVM

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 18:01:43 PM »
Ah.....project rescue. I wear out seam rippers faster than socks. I always have at least six knocking about in the sewing room to "enhance my creativity" ahem!  :'(

jen

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
I seem to be intent on giving myself multiple 'learning opportunities' with these darn pockets. Do you ever find pins stuck in between the layers of outer and lining when it's all stitched round and looking oh so neat? So far, three have declared themselves.