The Sewing Place

A fishy applique quilt of sorts - shelved for good

Iminei

Re: A fishy applique quilt of sorts - inspired by Japanese quilting
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 13:33:12 PM »

THIS gorgeous hanging was up in Midsommer Quilting Yesterday ... I took several pics for you to dissect ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Manuela

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:48 AM »
Thank you @Iminei, much appeciated.
So far I over-dyed the mackerel print with sand/beige to make it more muted. Happy with the result. I also bought a rather luxurious silk batting and this backing fabric

I’ll spend the first 3 weeks of July in Thailand supervising the renovation (more like a rebuild) of the spare room into an office/cinema, this is when I’ll start with the applique....
I still need to find something for the binding, I thing a black and white stripe would look nice, either squiggly or about 1-1.5 cm wide. Haven’t been successful in finding it yet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:40:56 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 03:13:39 AM »
I did a bit of appliqué practice this morning. The original fishies after dyeing the fabric and a substitute base (the original fabric is thinner and much more marbled).

Bottom left: grey thread at the back, beige thread at the belly. I’m a tad disappointed with the result, the belly doesn’t look quite right

Bottom right: grey upper thread, beige bobbin thread. Not a good idea, due to the different thickness in several areas.

Top: grey top and bobbin thread - currently my favourite

I have some clear and smoke coloured invisible polyester thread coming (softer than nylon thread and not scratchy) and will see how that looks (as upper thread only).

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:32:29 AM by Manuela »

Sheilago

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »
What an ambitious project you’ve set yourself! I look forward to seeing it finished.
I like the bottom left fish, but maybe variety is a good idea just as in the real world  :D

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
I think subtle differences in threads are hard to see in a pic ...

All of them look good to me but only you can really tell.... Do what your eyes (and heart) tell you!

Manuela

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:00 AM »
I moved he thread to the main section, so that @Iminei can easily spot it when I have questions  :devil:
This is my project for July, when I’ll be in Thailand for 3 weeks for a renovation project. Tinkering with machines, checking which buttonholer works best with what machine, etc., I decided to take Isabella, my Singer 338K with me. Then I’ll play with the cams and see if any of the other stitches look better than the zig zag I did today.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »
Looking back at the pics ... with my glasses on ..... you could do a lot of 'shading' with a slightly wider (SL) zig zag ...
to give the appearance of the curve of the belly etc ... quite exciting stuff ...

Why not try a light  to medium blue grey on the bellies, the thread on the back look fine as is I think ...

I have some (well an embarrassing amount) of my fishy fabric left, I might have a play too ... only zig zag  you say?

Manuela

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 10:49:16 AM »
Looking back at the pics ... with my glasses on ..... you could do a lot of 'shading' with a slightly wider (SL) zig zag ...
to give the appearance of the curve of the belly etc ... quite exciting stuff ...

Why not try a light  to medium blue grey on the bellies, the thread on the back look fine as is I think ...

I have some (well an embarrassing amount) of my fishy fabric left, I might have a play too ... only zig zag  you say?

I suspect I’ll be able to change the width of the decorative stitches using the cams on the 338K. Esmeralda the Pink is a basic entry level machine I bought at John Lewis a few years back. While she sews brilliantly and makes excellent buttonholes (with a vintage buttonholer) apart from the zig zag the width of the decorative stitches can’t be changed.

I’ll probably play around with the quilting, bubbles and fishes instead of straight lines. That said, I’s love to see what you come up with using your fishy fabrics....
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:51:17 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 09:58:12 AM »
I’ve started working on it.... Decided to QAYG, and began at the upper left quarter. The bubbles are already sewn on, so far 5 fishes are done - still loads of work and then 3 more. This is going to take a while, it’s a king size quilt.
I decided to use invisible polyester thread for the appliqué, quilting will be done in either light blue or off white.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:00:30 AM by Manuela »

Marniesews

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 18:58:33 PM »
I really like the look and design of this. I'm a sucker for a nice fish motif...and a salmon breakfast.  :P
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Manuela

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
 I did some minor changes to the layout - adding some fishes to make the shoal more crowded and let the ‘strays’ stand out a bit more. 7 are sewn on, many more to go. Won’t get around doing that over the weekend though.

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 08:06:05 AM »
It's lovely.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »
How about some overlapping ones ??
or chopping a couple so you see the tail peeking out one side of the quilt and the head from t'other edge

and maybe just one swimming against the tide?   :devil:

Manuela

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »
@Iminei overlapping is a great idea, why didn’t I think of it.....
Not keen on the chopping, as that would mean hand appliqué on the finished quilt, but there will definitely be some swimming against the tide (or swirl)

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
Its lovely and reminds me of my fishy dishy workshop ... not too happy with the result BUT Technique learned (Lightest fabric on the BOTTOM Imi you klutz!) and I will get back to it!