The Sewing Place

SOLD - Singer 401G

LeilaMay

SOLD - Singer 401G
« on: October 01, 2018, 18:16:38 PM »
Lovely cleaned and serviced (by me) with professionally reconditioned motor. Running very nicely.
Has complete set of cams and attachments in original plastic drawer unit.

I would be happy to sell the machine in a standard case rather than in a cabinet if someone would prefer it like that? Cabinet would then be for sale separately. Do get in touch i this would be of interest  :)

The original Singer table is 33 inches wide, and has three drawers to right hand side.

£100

Collection in Glastonbury or within 50 or 60 miles at a tea shop?  :)

Will take complete set of photographs tomorrow - this a quick snap from when I first cleaned it . . .
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:54:58 AM by LeilaMay »

SkoutSews

Re: FOR SALE - Singer 401G in cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 22:40:07 PM »
Lovely machine! It's a very fair price for a complete, reconditioned example too. I was lucky enough to get hold of one a year or so ago though, so won't be driving down to Somerset this time.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to comment favourably though, I really appreciate it )

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
Oh I wish I had the space  :'(  not even a space under the stairs which would be sacrilege for a machine so full of character and looking so smartly presented.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »
Oh I wish I had the space  :'(  not even a space under the stairs which would be sacrilege for a machine so full of character and looking so smartly presented.

Shameless enabling - coffee table, bedside table, hall table, kitchen table!  :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 13:24:40 PM »
Here we go with a better set of photographs of the machine and table.
If I've missed anything or you have questions do please ask  :)

Firstly, the machine, the third shot shows the top open for the use of pattern cams.

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 13:26:38 PM »
Next shots of the cabinet - it's 33 inches wide, I can get other dimensions if anyone needs them. Three neat drawers on the right, yes they do slant like that :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 13:27:49 PM »
Lastly the cams, attachments and bobbins (there's a spare bobbin case too.)

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 14:50:17 PM »
I realise I didn't take a photograph of the cabinet 'extended'
The section of top which lifts out to allow room for the machine to swing up can be clipped onto the let hand end of the cabinet top, extending the working area there by about 8 inches. I can photograph this in place if anyone would like to see it.

:)

LeilaMay

Re: FOR SALE - Singer 401G in case OR cabinet
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 14:09:22 PM »
Machine could be sold in a standard size case, rather than in the cabinet if folks don't have room for a cabinet - please get in touch if this is an option that would suit you   :vintage:
Leila

crafter

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 15:42:55 PM »
Hmm, could use that table for a dressing table when no in use.  Have a free standing mirror on the top, paint it up a bit!  Kinda shabby chic.

Didn't I just vow on another thread not to buy another second hand machine!

Do you have any info more info on the machine?  Never had one with cams.

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 16:32:07 PM »
Well there's a thread here on this forum about them
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php?topic=1735.0
haven't read it all through, but it might be helpful as these are folks you know?

A blog here about them - not me, I don't blog  :)

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/2014/03/singer-401g.html

A review here

http://www.lulushomeatelier.com/lulus-atelier-reviews/sewing-machine-reviews-lulu/reviews-of-singer-401-sewing-machine/

Some info on slant shank machines here

https://www.oldsewingear.com/blog/whats-so-great-about-a-slant-needle

I haven't read through all this stuff, but hope it's helpful. You could also shout out for opinions in the Vintage section, several people have them. I like it a lot, but with arthritic wrists I'm finding the heavier machines harder to handle and I keep having to ask OH, so I'm moving to smaller machines.
Leila

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 16:43:12 PM »
Interrupting here to say that you can download the manual from ismacs.net .

I learnt to sew on one of these as my mother had one, so I'm very fond of the machine.