The Sewing Place

How much!

Efemera

How much!
« on: October 03, 2018, 22:36:43 PM »
I’ve seen this persons work for some time and love what she does but how can you justify that price..I know what it takes to make stuff and don’t think there’s more than an hour and a half work.

Renegade Sewist

Re: How much!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:24:23 AM »
An hour and a half! You've got to be kidding. Full outfit, doll put together and stuffed, hand painted features, plus probably drafting up the pattern if it's her own. Then marketing, website costs, photography, provision for tools and work space.

A totally justifiable price for a unique piece of handcraft IMO. We should be weary of undervaluing our fellow craftspeople.

Totally agree here. I also know what it takes to make stuff and read the description. These are all vintage fabrics and tchotchkes. I'd spend an hour and a half, at least, trolling through my archives of garbage special materials just to pick the bits for one of these beauties. Another hour and a half assembling and that again painting. Then I would price according to its preciousness, which is very much an esoteric thing. This gal has found the right market for her little treasures.

These are exquisite. They are art, not craft fair fodder. Whole different market. A Picasso painting is maybe $30-$50 worth of materials and only took a few hours for many of them.

PS: I'm also guilty on more than one occasion of looking at something and saying they want what for that? But then, why don't I turn around and whip out some of whatever it is and make a killing? I haven't created a suitable market for my work. Laziness may also come into play in my case.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:27:10 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:05:58 AM »
but how can you justify that price..

She does because she can ... lucky beggar! (Envious moi ????)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
An hour and a half! You've got to be kidding. Full outfit, doll put together and stuffed, hand painted features, plus probably drafting up the pattern if it's her own. Then marketing, website costs, photography, provision for tools and work space.

A totally justifiable price for a unique piece of handcraft IMO. We should be weary of undervaluing our fellow craftspeople.

I’m sorry but no way... drafting a pattern?... what pattern. They’re about 6 inches tall. I’ve made dolls of all kinds and yes had some work published in Somerset Studio Prims so I know what’s involved. I’m not undervaluing anyone’s work but £160... the first doll may take some time but once you have a formula then you’re up and running.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:37:04 AM by Efemera »

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »

Totally agree with Fran
I'm surprised you don't give it a go @Efemera  sounds like you'd make a killing  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
I used to make very similar ones for my daughter when she was little, although not with witches hats - made from old fashioned clothes pegs. The only tools I used were a couple of small paint brushes, a pair of scissors and a needle and thread. The only materials were pegs, small offcuts and 3 tiny tins of Humbrol paint. The arms on mine were pipe cleaners though. The paint needed to dry overnight, but otherwise I reckon half an hour would have done it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
The price charged for something attracts different buyers / puts the item for sale in a different 'class'.
A friend of mine buys and refurbishes wooden furniture  (tbh I don't think her finish is particularly good).  She took a set of stools into a local centre that sells for people and said that the price was £20 each.  The proprietor told her not to be so daft and he said £50 each.  They were snapped up the same day.

His theory was that if you put a low price on something people will equate that with low quality .  If you charge a higher price you will attract a different group of people (those with money to spend) who equate the price with high quality even if it isn't.

This is borne out by people who will only buy 'labels' at inflated prices when the style and quality is little different from George at Asda.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:50:52 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
I knew someone who made beribboned, silk cushions ... she got no buyers locally and was persuaded to take them to London ..... Harrods bought the lot and put in a small but regular order - at 3 times the price she had tried them at locally. Know your market is the most important part of selling  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »
I think it's very true that if something is being sold more cheaply it will be valued less. When working in Harrods there were people who knew they could get the same thing cheaper in John Lewis but still chose to pay the higher price. I was selling a house once, which the estate agents valued at less than other similar houses because it was on a bus route. After several months I insisted on putting the price up and had 5 offers in the first weekend - people thought there was something wrong with it because it was cheaper. With items like the ones under discussion here, the packaging can make a big difference - if it is bought as a gift it looks much nicer.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 00:04:12 AM »
Like I said before, Art, not craft fair fodder. Even at times the identical item, same seller, different market can make a big difference in price.

Effie, if you were making these what are you thinking would be your price point? I have mine worked out and will share mine later, giving you the California market pricing.

ETA: these are apparently paper mache....add in more time, even at this small scale.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
The price charged for something attracts different buyers / puts the item for sale in a different 'class'.
A friend of mine buys and refurbishes wooden furniture  (tbh I don't think her finish is particularly good).  She took a set of stools into a local centre that sells for people and said that the price was £20 each.  The proprietor told her not to be so daft and he said £50 each.  They were snapped up the same day.

His theory was that if you put a low price on something people will equate that with low quality .  If you charge a higher price you will attract a different group of people (those with money to spend) who equate the price with high quality even if it isn't.

This is borne out by people who will only buy 'labels' at inflated prices when the style and quality is little different from George at Asda.

I completely agree with most of the comments below but especially Ploshies, I have known this for years the trick is getting into the right market.

A couple of years ago I vainly tried to sell my quilts or at least the idea of them. We have a posh shop attached to our huntin', shootin' and fishin' gunshop (yes we have one of those !!!) which opened a couple of years ago ... they sell expensive blankets, hats, wire boxing hares, driftwood coffee tables ...  posh country stuff ... you know the type of thing.

So I went in and asked if she would be interested in stocking a couple of quilts, I think I took in the Honeycomb Dreams cot quilt, being one of the more traditional ones I had at the time.
She asked me how much I wanted for it and I think I said £150, just plucking a number out of the air.

She looked shocked! She said she would have to sell it for £225 to make any money on it!  :o

I don't know how long it took me to make, it was quite a simple one; but I do know that it cost me £24 in patterned fabric for the front, background fabric, plus wadding, plus backing fabric, plus thread, plus a lil ink to print the bee, plus of course the time ....

and I also know that she sells her posh blankets for £75+   :S

It is all about getting your product to the right market, and on that score I have always failed quite spectacularly!

So if this girl is actually selling her creations (rather than just advertising them), then Good for her!

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »
I am quite a fan of a TV show called Salvage Hunters. It's about a chap who runs a business in N Wales, buying salvage items, old furniture etc, doing any refurb work and selling on - mainly through his web site.
They show the bargaining, what he buys for and what he expects to sell on for - which can make you think that the seller was 'done', but he also shows the whole process.
He has premises to maintain, staff to pay, even the diesel for the vehicle as he drives all over the UK sourcing stuff.

He even sometimes sells on to other dealers. As he said once "He (the seller) made a bit, I make a bit and the next dealer makes a bit".
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »
We watch Salvage Hunters too - with an interest because we have done antiques in a smallish way for some years. I'm afraid most of it is in the garage at the moment - haven't been able to do much since we've been here. With antiques the process is a bit different. Because you have no idea when you will be able to sell any given piece and your money might be tied up in it for a couple of years or more, your pricing structure needs to take account of that. You need to buy it as cheaply as possible (but not the unrealistic amounts you see on The Antiques Road Trip*), if it doesn't need restoration you will probably double that amount and then add on a bit to be knocked down by your hoped for buyer. We have items in the garage that we have had for 5 years or more and I dread to think how much money is stacked up out there.

Where Drew Pritchard has the advantage is that because he is in the business full time, he has been able to build up a store of contacts so he knows pretty well who he will be able to sell to when he is buying. His market is mainly online and he doesn't rely on footfall.

*If you are at an antiques fair or centre and you see something marked at, for instance, £28, offer £20. You might be lucky enough to get it for that, but expect to pay £25.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 13:43:19 PM »
So how would that work then?

I costed the Skandi quilt at (I think) £66 fabric, wadding and thread. It didn't take too long to put together, about a fortnight iirc, and the quilting was minimal, quick crosses through the blocks and heart, bird and skandi horse shapes outlined in every centre block.

So is a single bed handmade and unique quilt only worth £158.40 ???

Thats less than the 6" doll!!!

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 16:29:55 PM »
The true cost should reflect the number of hours of skilled work it has taken.
What do car mechanics, plumbers and electricians charge per hour?  I have no idea but I suspect it would make hand produced goods prohibitively expensive.
Life's too short for ironing.