The Sewing Place

How much!

Iminei

Re: How much!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 16:35:51 PM »
The day rate for a builders labourer is £150 - £180; thats not a skilled builder mind, just the pimply kid who eats all the biscuits whilst standing there watching the cement dry!

Plumbers / mechanics etc charge £30+ an hour

... and dont get me started on solicitors or accountants ...

the last time we used the latter his rate was £60 per hour ...  :o
and he used to chat, off on tangents ... I would sit there looking at the clock, thinking ... Shut up! Get on with it!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 21:03:16 PM »

I costed the Skandi quilt at (I think) £66 fabric, wadding and thread.

I think you've probably underestimated.

A single bed size quilt is about 1.5m x 2.0m
You'd need 3m of regular width fabric for the backing, about twice that for the pieced front and another half metre for the binding so 9.5 - 10m of fabric, which if full price is about £14 per metre.  Add £20-25 for the wadding and about £10 for the thread.  That lot comes to more like £166, not £66.  But even so, doubling that, £232 isn't enough for a well made single bed quilt considering the time they take.

A couple of years ago our little art group were putting up a display of paintings in the local library and I took my paintings wrapped up in quilts (quick and easy packaging!).  Oneof the librarians was quite interested and started asking how much one would cost.  Another member of the group came to my rescue by saying "if you need to ask you can't afford one"   0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

crafter

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 21:31:05 PM »
The true cost should reflect the number of hours of skilled work it has taken.
What do car mechanics, plumbers and electricians charge per hour?  I have no idea but I suspect it would make hand produced goods prohibitively expensive.

Problem is that most (but not all) car mechanics, plumbers and electricians are men.  Most sewers (but not all) are women.  If there was any money in hand sewing, the men would soon be in on it.  I don't suppose a male tailor even makes was a plumber makes.

Kenora

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 23:51:02 PM »

... and dont get me started on solicitors or accountants ...

the last time we used the latter his rate was £60 per hour ...

The solicitor we used for mum's estate charged £250 per hour!   :S :'(
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »
On a bit of a sideline,  I started  this thread yesterday after having my attention drawn to it on fb ......

Stunning and  ?????? priced (sorry brain fog! I mean its priced correctly for the work involved ... Anybody?)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
@Iminei  our skilled builder doesn't charge anywhere near what you quoted for a labourer.
I would charge about £180 for a single, handmade quilt, were I selling it direct.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 19:33:57 PM »
@Efemera I am with you on this one. Jan Horrocks make similar dolls for a lot less. I have her book and have made a couple of dolls myself. Once you have done one they take about 2 hours to do.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

toileandtrouble

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2018, 19:46:25 PM »
The solicitor we used for mum's estate charged £250 per hour!   :S :'(
Ah yes, "How much would you charge to answer two questions?"
"£200, what is the second question?"
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

supergran

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 22:19:57 PM »
I'm with Brenda on this one.@Iminei I think you've seriously under estimated and not charged enough for your time either. I've recently seen a few videos on Youtube about quilt pricing and they were actually mostly talking about queen size quilts (whatever size that is) but after estimating the material costs, including thread and needles, they went for a minimum $10 per hour and timed it from the design stage to the end and were coming up with $100's. If they were more famous quilters it ran into $1000's. They did say that the famous ones didn't usually sell the quilts they made, but used them as demonstration items or teaching aids, but the less famous did manage to get upwards of $500.