The Sewing Place

Roman Statues Dress

arrow

Re: Roman Statues Dress
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 16:50:58 PM »
Nothing is incorrect at all, I just noticed a various collection of classical sculptures, some ancient, some less.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 17:18:56 PM »
Im (still... I wrote this once before before it got lost in the ether under the curse of mousepadFnF10) so envious of you being able to make something useful to wear ... I love the idea of this dress ...

Moons ago, (many, many, many of them) I had Fabulous Roman fabric from Timothy Fowler which I used to make up into striking waistcoats for peeps ...

One day as I was finishing the buttonholes on one such waistcoat my quick unpick slipped ... you can guess what happened!!!

I was aghast ... but I was a quicker, cleverer girl in those days and modified the waistcoats with some silvered clasps ... which peeps seem to adore! Phew!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:10:03 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 22:44:17 PM »
I can't see any of your pics Im...

Well, this dress is done for. I spend all evening labouriously putting together the bodice to get it to the first try-on stage and.... it's gonna be one for the bin.

The fit is TERRIBLE. Unwearable and almost unrescuable I think. The bodice fits fine except for being a little too big on the waist but the sleeve parts hang about 6 inches too big round my shoulders. I have no idea how. The pieces of elastic meant to hug over the arms hang limp. The actual sleeve part hangs even limper. I don't understand it. I know I have narrow shoulders but I've got big arms too, certainly bigger than the fit model for this, so I expected it to balance out but somehow the neckline is designed for someone with a giant set of shoulders. I don't get it.

I'm so gutted I didn't make a toile. I convinced myself it would be fine as I'd done flat-pattern adjustments and those are all fine (the bust and waist is good) but I didn't think there would be such major problems with the sleeve part. This'll be the last Vogue I ever buy, the fit is HORRIBLE and I should've known their patterns are not designed for me but instead for giant-shouldered tiny-waisted 8ft women?

Gutted that I have used much loved stash fabric that I've held onto for four years, an expensive piece of silk organza and gorgeous bemburg cupro lining that I was saving for a coat but decided to use on this instead. All wasted.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 08:11:30 AM »
Make a skirt!!! Top it with something plain and voila!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »
Yes - or make a new bodice from a T&T pattern in a toning fabric.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Samantha

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »
Oh no how disappointing! I hope you can rescue it at some point.

Nevis5

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
Oh @Francesca , how disappointing for you :(  Hopefully you will be able to rescue it when it's been in time out for a while.