The Sewing Place

Considering creeping back to the dark side

Catllar

Re: Considering creeping back to the dark side
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 21:48:05 PM »
That one caught my eye - it's lovely - but I've already done something similar - I know, I know I'm a bloody nuisance - sorry :'(
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

rubywishes

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 01:27:28 AM »
But as a caveat I personally wouldnt try that first out of the traps as they are 60 degree diamonds ... lots of bias edges and Y seams!

Breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about it. :'( :o
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 09:47:08 AM »
Try one of Elizabeth Hartman's patterns if you really want to get p***ed off  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »
Try one of Elizabeth Hartman's patterns if you really want to get p***ed off  :D

Some pretty stuff on there too - love the flamingoes, the sausage dogs and the feathers.  My project needs instant gratification as I'll be buried  again in flamenco dresses come december.

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 14:54:59 PM »
@Catllar How about something like this for instant gratification.  Easy to constuct but very effective with the right fabrics.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 18:36:17 PM »
I like the asymmetric log cabin Ploshkin. Nice one!

I've started one now - I'll let you  all know how I get on. Got most of it cut out this morning then realised I don't have enough whites so bought some this afternoon - bargain - shop closing down its patchwork dept so all at 8€ a metre. I was soooooo good.

Catllar

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
Oh dear  one of the Elizabeth Hartman patterns and fabric seems to have fallen into my basket ! Now how did that happen ??????? The flamingoes.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 15:08:17 PM »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 18:41:16 PM »
Lovely!  I'd make the appropriate noise here, but don't know what that would be for a flamingo??

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 19:48:09 PM »
So I've made all the top blocks and I've started joining the rows. As I don't fancy fighting with it under the machine to quilt I'm going to  use QAYG technique to attache the top to the backing and wadding. Where do you people get your wide backing fabric from ( and wadding, come to that?) I've had a look on French sites and it comes in at about £25 a metre which seems a touch expensive.

Acorn

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 20:59:12 PM »
Thank you.

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 13:36:44 PM »
Today a parcel arrived containing my flamingo pattern and a roll-up of fabrics. Reading the pattern it tells me I will need two rollups - one plains and one patterned. Can I find the patterned one anywhere? Can I heck!  I am a bit miffed as when I was looking on Mr amazon's site he offered me Pond roll-up along with flamingo pattern. I had presumed the rollup would contain strips for all the flamingoes. Wrong. P...ed off now. Not enough fabric to get started, can't find the prints anywhere on line and nearest quilt shop is in Perpignan. Sigh.

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 15:39:39 PM »
which fabric are you missing??? Roll up pond ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 22:52:06 PM »
It's the prints. Thought they were included in the roll-up, but no.

I've had a  look through my stash and I reckon I can come up with some prints that'll fit in with the plains. There wa see hoping for the easy life.....