The Sewing Place

This week's sewing project - blinds

crafter

This week's sewing project - blinds
« on: October 06, 2018, 00:04:09 AM »
New blinds for the kitchen  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lilian

Re: This week's sewing project - blinds
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 00:14:07 AM »
They are lovely @crafter I like the colour scheme.  I made some years ago and now seeing yours has made me think about making some for the place I'm in now  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

justpottering

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
Oh very nice  :loveit:
Love how you've made three separate ones gives options for dealing with sun without needing the whole window covered that's a wide  window you've got there so again great choice
Love the fabric too  :loveit:

Not sure what to do with the new kitchen window probably nothing to begin with. Current kitchen has two small deep windows and as we're not overlooked haven't anything on them as I think it would steal the natural light, new house is not overlooked and has big window like yours and  looks out into the garden I will live with it uncovered for a while and decide when we revamp
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 17:45:48 PM by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »
Lovely job Crafter!

Reminds me that my kitchen blinds are looking a bit tired....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:15:46 AM »
Beautiful - love the fabric!
Are they difficult to make?

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:32:18 AM »
Lovely job...and yes, now I'll make two rather than one for my kitchen (come the day).  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

crafter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »
The sun is exactly the reason they are there @justpottering.  You can be blinded by the sun if you are sitting at the kitchen table so we can just drop the blind we need.  That and the fact that it is a wide expanse of black at night, so blinds make it much cosier.  Not needed for warmth as there is a conservatory on the other side of the window.

@Fiona M.  Not a beginners project but just need a bit of practice really.  Most important is making sure that everything is square as you move through the processes, of which there are many in this type of blind.  I.e. the type where you cannot see any stitching on the right side.  Lots of hand sewing.

Thanks for all your nice comments.  Need to decorate now.  I always do things the wrong was round.

Mocarroll

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 17:41:33 PM »
Beautiful work Crafter and perfect matching! I made a blind for a friend a few years ago which was probably the width of all three of your blinds. Never again! I would have been much better doing what you did.  Did you use a cartridge mechanism with a chain?

crafter

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 17:54:47 PM »
Yes @Mocarroll, I always used the cassettes these days.  Expensive but worth it not to have to source all the little parts that need to go in.  And they do give you a more accurate finish.

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 20:57:57 PM »
Beautiful job!  Makes me want to do these again (its been 30 years). Are the new kits much simpler than the eyelets and cords fromway back?

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 22:43:06 PM »
Very impressed, they look lovely.

I am planning blinds for some of our windows.  What are the cassettes @crafter ?  The last time I made one it was the little rings and cords type of palaver.  It would be lovely to have something to make it easier.

crafter

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 01:48:28 AM »
Here is a video of how I make my blinds.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgHJO993Rk

The only different thing I do is to apply metal eyelets to the lining, so the fold for the lining needs to be twice the size.  Also I use different way to secure the cords at the bottom, which is like a toggle fastening you get on string bags and jackets.  The cassettes I use (Terrys Fabrics) come complete with them but I don't think they all do.

Thanks for the nice comments.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 07:41:24 AM »
Just used one of the cassette top kits from Terry's fabrics. for my kitchen blind.  It is very easy to use. The hardest parts are making sure the supports are perfecty aligned and having to thread the cords through after velcro-ing the fabric onto the fixed cassette. Somehow had to thread it up while hiding behind it.  I would recommend making a sort of template showing the spacing of the cords from the ends, then make sure the wide slots in the roman blind tape are lined up in the right positions. There was barely enough tape in each width - I meant to mention that to Terrys. My blind was 180cm wide and for winter warmth so I have one of their vertical blinds to stop us being dazzled by the sun in the evenings. Also highly recommended, andtheir service is very good. Quick to get things sorted if there is a problem.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:50:56 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Fiona M

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »
@crafter Thanks for the You Tube link, it's a very clear tutorial. 

crafter

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 21:40:16 PM »
Somehow had to thread it up while hiding behind it. 

@toileandtrouble,  I cord up mine whilst its on the table.  Lay the blind out fully extended and put the cords through from being fully extended from the cassette.  Secure the cord to the lowest rod (not the bottom batten), then pull the blind up fully.  (Might be a two handed job.)  Usually the cords are all the right length and just need cutting off or securing.  Having the toggles makes this job really easy.  If they are not just right then tighten the cords to its highest position.  I am so confident of this being accurate that this is where I used to say goodbye to my blinds at this stage and send MrC off to install them on his own.  I.e. foolproof!