The Sewing Place

Someone else's leftovers

WendyW

Someone else's leftovers
« on: October 06, 2018, 16:35:27 PM »
Last week I was given 5 garbage bags full of someone's leftovers from sewing attempts. Mixed in amongst all 5 bags, I found numerous 4.5in  divided squares in color groups, one completed quilt block, and some random leftovers of the same fabrics. Here's the quilt I created from them.

:fabric:random crosses by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

I also found in the bags a half-finished purple quilt. It was all cut into triangles, with about half the blocks assembled, the rest sewn into the smaller 2-pc squares. Probably would have made a twin size quilt, but I made 2 smaller kid-size ones in my usual donation size. The purple sashing came from my stash. (Still remaining is a large pile of red triangles, which will be my next project.)

purple diamonds by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 16:40:22 PM by WendyW »

fajita

Re: Someone else's leftovers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 18:46:19 PM »
Lovely makes from generous leftovers.  :toast:

Deafoldbat

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 19:23:10 PM »
That's the right sort of leftovers! And you don't have the 'I must make something really good with this' guilt that you get when you were the one who spent all that money. It also makes you think a bit to work out what you can do with it. Many of our 'Linus' quilts have begun as a pile of bits and turned into treasure.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 19:57:51 PM »
What great makes from leftovers...lovely.

annieg

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 21:43:09 PM »
Really attractive quilts - amazing that they were "leftovers".
Annieg

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 22:40:56 PM »
It also makes you think a bit to work out what you can do with it.

Strange as it may be, I think this is my favorite part of getting someone else's leftovers. I also buy random pre-cut bits from the thrift shop when they have good colors. So much of someone's rejects are junk fabric that just get donated, it's fun to find something useful. I dislike the cutting and love the planning, so these are good projects for me.