The Sewing Place

At last a Waffle Tostie

Gernella

At last a Waffle Tostie
« on: October 12, 2018, 15:44:37 PM »
Can't remember when I started it, but it seems like ages  ago, it was actually 13 August.   Do I like it, love it.  The gorgeous faux fur I bought, I  chickened out of cutting it so changed to some faux shearling, which was not as expensive and I could buy less. 

If I could change anything it would be the top pocket near the zip placket.  There was hardly any room so I would reposition further away.  In the end I used handbag zips on the pockets, seemed stronger and they get a lot of use. It hasn't been pressed at all but I suspect if I do that it will never get photographed, which is what usually happens.  I used Millerain fabric, which didn't like pins so the quilting clips I used were a real godsend.  I used Thinsulate inside  and it has made it feel really warm. The lining quilting was a bind for me, I'm not really a quilter and when the tape ran out I'm afraid I ran a ruler down and sewed up to it with a zip foot.  Worst thing about, I have never known fabric pick up so much thread, I seemed to be continually pulling it off and of course most times that went on the floor.

I'm already thinking about doing it again in maybe a wool fabric, although after three projects one after the other I think the next step is a blitz in the sewing room.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

jen

Re: At last a Waffle Tostie
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 16:15:50 PM »
Well done! It’s looking so cozy, perfect for winter.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 17:10:37 PM »
Wow!  You made a proper jacket!  I don't think I could.  I love the colour. Looking at the design, presumably when it's a cold day you zip it up to the top and the fur collar keeps your neck and face warm?  That'll be so cosy.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 17:17:05 PM »
Very cheerful and lovely for the winter.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 17:56:40 PM »
What a great jacket, well done. (A waffle tostie sounds like something you'd get in Costa Coffee.)
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 18:14:12 PM »
That is VERY nice. I need a waterproof jacket...might have to search out fabrics.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 18:35:36 PM »
Yummy  ;) !  Looks brilliant @Gernella ! and very warm and cosy.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 19:01:21 PM »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 19:21:20 PM »
A word of warning if you are going to press use a dry iron on the wax fabric. I made the mistake of using steam on mine and I got water marks. They did eventually iron out with a dry iron.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Pinkstar

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 19:50:17 PM »
That is fabulous.  I went and had a google of millerain fabric as I'd never heard of it, nearly £30 a meter!  I dread to think how much you paid for the faux fur if you chickened out of using it as it was expensive.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 23:12:26 PM »
OMG! That's a lovely jacket. And double OMG. OMG!OMG! You made it!!! Be proud, very proud...you did a fantastic job and now have a terrific jacket.

But beware. All your close friends and family are going to want you to make one for them.

Signed, your BFF, Rene

(All kidding aside, great jacket.)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »
That is fabulous.  I went and had a google of millerain fabric as I'd never heard of it, nearly £30 a meter!  I dread to think how much you paid for the faux fur if you chickened out of using it as it was expensive.

I got the Millerain fabric cheap, last year's colours, £6 a meter plus vat.   The faux fur was £28  a meter reduced from £128 on Joel & Sons.  It was a gorgeous brown/red and it was just too good to use on just a collar (bought during a few drinks on a Saturday night).  The faux shearling (cream pelt crush) was £14.99 for a quarter of a meter and because it was a shorter pile, it was much easier to work with and I think I like it better than the darker fur.

The jacket has the option to have a detachable hood on with snaps on the outside of the collar.  I just reversed these  and put on the inside, then made a separate collar with the corresponding snaps on the collar band.  So it comes off easily for cleaning (says dry clean :devil:).

Regarding the pressing, a funny thing happened with my new steam generator, first use the kitchen window was all steamed up.  Second use was with my new Brabantia ironing board, I hardly needed to use any steam and no steamed windows.  That I am impressed with.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Pinkstar

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 19:02:16 PM »
I got the Millerain fabric cheap, last year's colours, £6 a meter plus vat.   The faux fur was £28  a meter reduced from £128 on Joel & Sons.  It was a gorgeous brown/red and it was just too good to use on just a collar (bought during a few drinks on a Saturday night).  The faux shearling (cream pelt crush) was £14.99 for a quarter of a meter and because it was a shorter pile, it was much easier to work with and I think I like it better than the darker fur.

The jacket has the option to have a detachable hood on with snaps on the outside of the collar.  I just reversed these  and put on the inside, then made a separate collar with the corresponding snaps on the collar band.  So it comes off easily for cleaning (says dry clean :devil:).

Regarding the pressing, a funny thing happened with my new steam generator, first use the kitchen window was all steamed up.  Second use was with my new Brabantia ironing board, I hardly needed to use any steam and no steamed windows.  That I am impressed with.

Oh phew that's much more reasonable.  The faux fur was a bargain reduced to that price (but still expensive.)