They’re like buses!
« on: October 07, 2018, 15:55:44 PM »
And along comes another one...
This one was more expensive (£19) but came complete

There will be one for sale shortly...

arrow

Re: They’re like buses!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 16:18:20 PM »
Nice condition, but I see the base cover can use an improvement. Is it the lighter aluminium cast version or the cast iron?

You have to let us know how it runs and stitches, and I may force a bottle of Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube on you, I swear it makes a difference, even if it's only a bit of extra smoothness.

Oil points; oil well from the holes on top, remember to oil where the needle and presser bar shaft enters the body, all hinges and joints every where. There is a roller part, like a wheel turning in a cam sort of movement under the feed dogs, this part needs to roll, and theres' several tiny holes and jonts  that need oil on end of rods and moving parts under there. You might have to take the hand wheel of to get oil all the way out ot the stop motion screw, or; tilt the machine to the right, add drop, after drop, after drop,...of oil while you run the machine. Take out the bobbin case, it might need cleaning and two drops of oil on the race.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 19:49:10 PM by arrow »

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 17:13:35 PM »
OMG, that looks just like my first machine. <3 <3 <3

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 18:58:44 PM »
It’s cast iron...DH has it all in bits at the moment. I’ve not touched the case as yet, a job for another day.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 22:08:16 PM »
The first 185 is a 1958 model and had the foot pedal and plug permantly wired into the motor. The second one is 1962 and has a separate plug in three pin socket, the foot pedal says made in France so I don’t think it’s original. What’s the best set up? I’m thinking of swapping the motors.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 23:32:39 PM »
Pedals often get replaced, they can often be repaired though. I think I prefere a detachable pedal, but I guess it's a minor difference? They don't look like they have seen too much use, motor should be fine on both of them.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 06:43:57 AM »
There was a French factory (machines were labelled with a B) they did move parts and machines around a lot.

You’re lucky to stumble on 2 of these little beauties :) in quick succession.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 09:14:29 AM »
These 185k threads are making me want to get mine out for an airing!

They really are very pretty.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 14:06:13 PM »
I had my 99K out yesterday, just a bit of jeans mending, but it reminded me how solid and capable these 3/4 size machines are. It stitched over layers of denim, those straps you run the belt through didn't bother it at all, and they are thick and folded at the ends.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 16:20:30 PM »
Well the first machine turn out to be not such a bargain.. there’s a bit broken off the bobbin case. I may fix or not.. I might just sell it for spares.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 16:23:19 PM »
Oh, that's a shame!  If you are listing it for spares, make sure you take anything you need for the other machine.  The second one looks in good nick.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 16:32:05 PM »
They’re both in really good condition...I think a new case from Helen is about £7 so I may fix it and sell it on...or I may shove it in the loft! Selling is a bit of a nightmare as I wouldn’t post it.

arrow

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 18:42:08 PM »
Local pick-up is usually safer than courier, bumps, dents, broken off parts are reported all the time on sewing machine purchases, particularly used machines.

The first one is probably a still well within bargain category, nice conditon machine, case is easily replaced, and the basic cleaning and oiling should be easy on both of them. The advantage with two, is fix up and test sewing, if one turns out better than the other you know it is down to further adjustments and fine tuning. Selling a clean machine with stitch sample is often easier.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 19:11:36 PM by arrow »

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 18:08:29 PM »
The saga continues... the second machine is complete and is the better machine, it’s been thoroughly cleaned and oiled but.... the balance  wheel is free but between 5 o’clock and 9 o’clock it’s really stiff, if the machine stops between these points it really doesn’t start again... just revs the motor, any ideas?

arrow

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 19:44:18 PM »
It's not always easy to detect exactly where, but from experience, it's usually about more oiling. Have you had the plate behind the stitch length lever off? you can detect a squarish part moving up and down a groove there. You can reach this spot by the oil points on top of the machine, but if it's dry or sticky, you need to overoil to speed up things. Place a rag or good layer of kitchen paper in the bottom case before you start.

Have you had the hand wheel off? I'm sure it has something to do with a joint, hinge or moving part some where.