The Sewing Place

arrow

Re: 185k
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 13:10:13 PM »
At medium speeds there shouldn't be much difference between a 201 and 99/185, but they are different. The noise from the 201 mostly comes from the motor, needle punch and the bobbin can be heard turning at times. The 99 needs to be well oiled to have a smooth running hook and race, and it sounds different. At higher speeds there are a bit more vibrations, but mostly when you push against its' limits. The thing is that a 99 and 185 are much the same machine, I think the 99 might have a bit more cast iron to absorb noise.

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 13:11:52 PM »
I think I may swap it out for a 99 if I can get a nice one.

arrow

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 13:22:43 PM »
Oh, check if it is the aluminium cast version, I have been a bit interested in one lately, but they turn up here too. I would work with the 185 to get it nice running though, it has a good reputation. The noisy one is the 285. 

arrow

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 18:28:26 PM »
You know about the screw in the bobbin case release part? The manual warns not to touch it at all. To release the bobbin case you lift it up and towards you, there's enough room for cleaning. You might have to wiggle the hand wheel a bit. If you loosen the screw the entire race and hook under there starts floating around, and it is a bit cumbersome to get it right again. It's all very obvious on yours, but you don't see the lift up end of the lever until the bobbin case is completely off.

The trick is to get enough room for the thread to pass around or you will end up with endless tension trouble, if there's left too much room it will leave the bobbin case rattling around and give you a noisy machine. These parts are the same on both the 99 and the 185.

Efemera

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 18:32:47 PM »
DH tried to get the screw out...until he looked online and it said don’t touch it!.. someone else has had a go, the screw head is bashed. I haven’t tied to sew with it yet as I need a bobbin plate and needle clamp... they’re on their way.

arrow

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 18:45:17 PM »
I might need a replacent screw on mine too. If you ever attempt the adjustment, the best way to test is with top stitch thread, just to make sure there is enough room for it. This model handles Gütermann's top stitch thread fine for general sewing.  Except for some Mettler Cordonet thread, that's about the heaviest thread I use.