The Sewing Place

Selling very old computerised machines

Gernella

Selling very old computerised machines
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:24:19 AM »
Saw this on Ebay today (I can't help but just look occasionally).  The very same machine I sold for £25 in 2009, still working fine apart from the bobbin winder and bought around the end of the 80's.

It certainly was a lovely machine but is it being honest to sell for £449.99 when the circuit board could go any time and could not be replaced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JANOME-MEMORY-CRAFT-7000-EMBROIDERY-SEWING-MACHINE-16kg-WELL-SOUGHT-AFTER-9149/323224495545?hash=item4b41ae65b9:g:J2QAAOSwY5Ra37kl:rk:90:pf:0

No idea where they get 16kg either, it wasn't light but it certainly wasn't heavy.

Just looked and they have another one in a £399. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:27:32 AM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

arrow

Re: Selling very old computerised machines
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 14:46:56 PM »
I don't think I would have payed half the price, maybe a 1/4 of it. If it was a very good model someone will probably go for it, maybe even rebuy it. How much does the closest new memory craft cost these days? A relatively new machine, used, maybe 2-4 years old tend to be half the price of a new. More than 10 years old and the prices drop considerably.

On the other hand, I know some are willing to pay quite a lot for the early Paffs with built in upper feed (late 60s to early 70s). As long as the are in good condition, some have payed quite a lot for repairs and full service. It was among the first computerised. The first computerised Singers recieve some interest, but most doesn't want to pay for more than minor repairs on them. 

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 20:56:38 PM »
Unless someone is a computer & sewing nerd combined - what would be the point? Maybe if hubby likes rebuilding dinosaur motherboards?

At this point £25 or $25 would be ridiculous - especially with shipping involved from Ebay.

If I were selling one, I might run it for $15 or $20 or OBO on Craigslist. IF anyone called I would tell them it works fine, but could go at any moment. I'd give it to them free and thank them for saving me a trip to the dump.

Some people are just several cards short of a full deck.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 22:02:49 PM »
I don't know too much about these models, I know some have had their 20 year old Bernina in for service and repair, it has kept on stitching for years after and still do. Replacement parts are tricky for electronics, it can be done, but it's hard to tell when it's worth the time, money and effort. I'm not very against it, but it has to be worth it for buyer and those who had in their machines. Half the point is to get a reliable machine to a reasonable price that's up to the job. How good is the embroidery parts after 20 years? software, pattern availability, upgrades?  How does it compare to a newer model? The very early coputers lasted a long time, some 1990s models still run. A hard disk from 1985 to early 1990s is slow and doesn't have much memory, but they still run fine. Even the motherboards\ and cpu tend to hold up. I doubt we can say that about the average hard disk today.