The Sewing Place

They’re like buses!

Efemera

Re: They’re like buses!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 22:08:38 PM »
Hand wheel has been off, cleaned and oiled.
..is there anywhere with instructions on how to take everything apart?.... more importantly put it back together! When the chrome knob is disengaged the wheel runs really free but when it’s tightened up the stiffness returns.

It’s stiff when the pivot point moves from A to B
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 22:18:44 PM by Efemera »

arrow

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 22:40:38 PM »
You can be sure it's something in the mechanism. You don't need to take these models fully appart, and the closest I know to a full disassembly is a tutorial for model 66.

Poke down the oil points on top of the machine, there are at least four holes there and check if they are clogged up. The upper shaft turning in there might need more oil. Oil in excess and turn the hand wheel.

Have you double and tripple checked oil points, you have detected them all? I wouldn't even bother thinking about further disassembly until day 4 of oiling and test sewing. Hardened, sticky oil any where can cause this. Grime and much stuck where the needle bar moves up and down cuases this. This is spot on what we get when we take out a machine that's been in storage, and we always start worrying it's something more serious. I have used spray can oil to flush out sticky machines, but you quickly have to turn to regular oil, and keep on oiling a bit the next few days.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 23:47:25 PM by arrow »

arrow

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 22:50:58 PM »
I didn't see your picture until now. I would still have a bit of patient and keep up oiling. In sticky cases it takes time for oil to seep all the way to the inners of joints and hinges, and it takes further repeated oilings for the sticky part to dissolve and flush out. Since it's hard to know exactly which joint sticks you have to keep oiling every where.

There's tiny holes in the hinged parts behind the face plate, they can be clogged up, I oil these as well as the joints in them to be sure oil seeps in there. Don't forget the part were the needle bar moves up and down in the cast iron part (head of the body).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 15:43:43 PM by arrow »

LeilaMay

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 19:59:23 PM »
I'd try tri-flow and heat from a hair dryer as well, as Arrow says there's very likely some point that's clogged.

arrow

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 17:29:55 PM »
How are you doing? It's been a couple of days now.

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 18:33:09 PM »
It’s still the same..I’ve got a sewing machine guy coming to see it

arrow

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 16:35:56 PM »
You are oiling and turning?