The Sewing Place

Dyeing polyester lace motifs for dance costumes

Marniesews

Dyeing polyester lace motifs for dance costumes
« on: October 06, 2018, 03:39:23 AM »
Any advice on the best way to dye white guipure motifs with polyester content? I don't need to colour match with the main fabric so the precise colour density isn't critical but I'm wondering how well colour is likely to take.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:56:20 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

Re: Dying polyester lace motifs for dance costumes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
The dye won't take to the polyester, but if there's cotton in there too it will.

In my (very limited) experience all dyeing is a matter of trial and error.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

Re: Dyeing polyester lace motifs for dance costumes
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »
I put the missing e in the title of my post as it looked so sad  :( Hope you don't mind @Marniesews  <3
Dyeing is always hit and miss with me, but I understood that polyester would not take dye at all
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:55:41 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
Thank you @Lowena  :| I find I'm increasingly typing phonetically at times. This one always makes me laugh when I see it but I do get irritated when I don't catch it in time so I've changed it too.

@BrendaP I also thought that polyester was a non-starter too but saw these dyes specifically for polyester and wondered how effective they might be on white motifs.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 16:26:10 PM »
There are  polyester dyes, some regular dyes will take to polyester to a degree. Deep colors are more difficult, Rit brand tells you to double the amount of dye used for natural fibers. Some dyes are polyester-only I think, some only take to cotton, viscose and rayon, some only to silk and wool.  There are some types that come in a jar, with a jel-like consistency, you pensil or sponge it on, it lasts but the treated spot turns out a bit more stiff than the rest of the fabic, at least on t-shirts and it takes to polyester too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 18:19:51 PM by arrow »

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 16:56:45 PM »
I've just seen some dyed motifs using the poly dyes which look ok for my purpose so I'll try them if the perfect colour motifs don't just happen to fall into my lap.

I'd still be interested if anyone else has experimented with polyester lace too.

Lollipop

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 21:38:43 PM »
I've tried IDye Poly and Rit for synthetics but had limited success. The problem is getting a consistent colour as you heat the pot which takes a lot longer and is hotter than a lot of the appliques can stand. I've read some posts in forums where people recommend using the Oasis floral spray. I've used it for colouring net but not tried it on lace or appliques. It's pretty cheap though so worth experimenting. Good luck.
Was Sewnanny

arrow

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 22:28:04 PM »
Unless it's silk I would chance the heat of the dye solution,  at least a test dye. Polyester can often take it, I agree though, best to spend your money on something that does the job.

Alangus

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 22:45:22 PM »
Hi Marniesews

I think it was you I replied to on the Spandex forum (sorry if im worng) to say I had had success with i dye poly. Ive used it on several bits of 100% guipure lace, some big bits of 100% poly stretch mesh, some 100% poly georgette for skirts and some lengths of poly habotai. It has to be hot and sometimes it takes a while to get a deep colour, I found that the heat really creased the habotai and it took a fair bit of ironing and steaming to get it out - probably should press it damp. It is not as easy as dyeing nylon or silk with acid dye but it worked out ok for my needs - the colours were good. I wasn't doing anything very complicated, just plain or ombre dyes, I didnt need to do any specific colour mixing or matching and the results did not have to be precise. Only thing was that the fabric smelled awfull and needed several washes which made me think that the chemicals must be quite strong. I remember some peple talking about ombre dyeing using idye poly on the old sewing forum - shame that resouce has gone - it was great.
Good luck

Al
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 22:58:42 PM by Alangus »

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 15:25:30 PM »
Yes @Alangus it was your motifs that I referred to in post 6 and made me think it was worth a go.

@arrow finding the right colour in ready-made motif pairs is so hit and miss and buying half-metre pieces of guipure lace to cut out individual motifs is usually well beyond the budget. However, if the dye works as well as Alangus's examples, it's definitely worth trying out. I think it may need a good wash & rinse in Zoflora disinfectant for the smell...can you still buy that, I wonder? Childhood nostalgia there - straight back to the 1950s.

I've seriously pondered on getting motifs embroidered by someone with an embroidery machine but the cost of their time could be pretty expensive too and, although I'm very tempted, the time isn't right for getting my own machine...just yet.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 17:55:58 PM »
Depends what colour you need but I've dyed polyester lace with strong tea and it worked well enough for costumes.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 13:09:38 PM »
The dancer has just changed her mind about what she wants so they're not needed immediately but I should use the opportunity to order a few & experiment for future dresses.

arrow

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 19:21:44 PM »
...I think it may need a good wash & rinse in Zoflora disinfectant for the smell...can you still buy that, I wonder? Childhood nostalgia there - straight back to the 1950s...

I have no idea about the disinfectant, I'm mostly used to chlorine or peroxide based stuff, or just a good wash. They have bottles of detol on the stores though. The last time I dyed something it didin't smell at all, at least after the mandatory wash.