The Sewing Place

A cutting board?

Greybird

A cutting board?
« on: October 09, 2018, 14:42:17 PM »
I am in the middle of painting my dining table. It's French polished finish was long gone and years of grandchildren's drawing sessions on it have taken their toll too. The thing is that I have to do all my cutting out on it and whilst I am happy for the painted surface to acquire a naturally "distressed" finish, I have a feeling that scissors and pins are not going to achieve the right effect.

Whilst painting I have been thinking that I should get a cutting board but I have never used one before and don't know what to expect from it. Do you have to fix it to the table, does it slide about? I do have a table protector cut to fit the table - the sort with a plastic patterned surface and felt underneath but I don't know if that would do the trick? It would be nice if it did because the boards I have seen are quite expensive. Can anyone advise me? If I am going to buy a board I would like to have it ready for when I want to sew.

Kad

Re: A cutting board?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 15:12:00 PM »
I have a white table protector like the one that you already have and that's been fine for pinning and cutting out on, using scissors not a rotary cutter. I bought the table protector for this purpose and it has the advantage of rolling up for storage as well as protecting the table under a tablecloth on the odd occasion that I use one.
The dining room table has survived lots of cutting out sessions in the past 20 years or so
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 16:05:48 PM »
I cut out on the dining table too. It's covered by a table protector bought decades ago. I use weights, pins and scissors and the protector works well, does the job for which it was intended, I suppose! I use a sheet of corrugated cardboard (from a parcel delivery) when doing FBAs or tracing patterns and it stops the pins going through to the protector.

I've never used a rotary cutter. It would be like a scene out of 'Casualty'.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 16:28:31 PM »
That's interesting and reassuring. I don't think I would ever use a rotary cutter - I rather like the process of cutting with scissors. I think maybe I'll give the table protector a try and see how I get on before I splash out - the boards do look good but I have to save all my pennies for C*******s!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 16:43:42 PM »
My table is glass, but to cut out on it, I have a fold up, cardboard cutting board, which I bought for a few pounds.  Absolutely no use for a rotary cutter, but fits my table perfectly, and is good for tracing patterns as well.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 22:30:34 PM »
It sounds like you're sticking with scissors @Greybird and if you were still tempted I'd have strongly recommend trying out a rotary cutter and small board before investing in a big one.

I happily used a scalpel & cutting board for decades for presentation work but have never got on with a rotary cutter with fabric. I really don't know why, I've tried 3 or 4 different cutters in different sizes, constantly changed to new blades and even bought an ergonomic one with bent handle, all to no avail. I much prefer my scissors, even with lycra although many dancewear people swear by their rotary cutters.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
I don't really know what it is about scissors - I just find the process enjoyable. I like the cutting out stage and scissors seem to be an integral part of it. I expect if I had to produce a higher volume of stuff then a rotary cutter would be more efficient but at my usual plodding rate the scissors will do!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 09:49:41 AM »
I bought a cardboard cutting board, as I use scissors mainly
This one, , although it was about £10 when I bought it.

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
I have one like that too, Bodge, had it for years. Sits perfectly on my dining table and even gives a bit of extra width.
I love the idea of the big rotary cutting board, but no way could I justify spending that much for the amount of use it would get.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
I looked at that one @Bodgeitandscarper but was put off by the mixed reviews. You never really know what kind of people are doing these reviews though do you? If you use it and are happy with it, perhaps I'll give it a try!

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
Some of the comments sound as if either the product quality has changed or they thought they were buying something different.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »
I looked at that one @Bodgeitandscarper but was put off by the mixed reviews. You never really know what kind of people are doing these reviews though do you? If you use it and are happy with it, perhaps I'll give it a try!

I've got one of these that I've had since around 1992, works just fine on a large desk I have, never usually fully out as it is quite large.  It does move a round sometimes but even though I have considered one of the proper cutting mats, it would have to be the largest and I would rather spend the money on something else.  Over the years it has been extremely useful, especially with the markings on it and I wouldn't be without it.  At the time I think it was around the £20 mark but it has been worth it and the cardboard is quite strong.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »
It is just cardboard, and I also suspect some of the reviewers didn't  really look at what they were buying.  It's perfect for just protecting your worktop, and folds up neatly,  it does slide a bit, but I've not found it a problem.  Works for me!

Addiscomber

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 15:56:55 PM »
I use something like this on our dining table. It is on there permanently under a table cloth. I punched holes near the edge so that i could tie it around the table legs, as much to stop the children sliding it about as for sewing. I find it very useful for cutting out as if I am careful I can stick a pin in it vertically if i need to pivot a pattern piece about to get it on the straight grain, or for Nancy Zieman's pivot and slide method of pattern alteration.
https://www.dunelm.com/product/brown-executive-felt-table-protector-1000000785?skuId=20107192&branchCode=335&cm_mmc=pla_google-_-Dine_Table%20Linen%20and%20Accessories_[GOO-LIA-DINE-TABLE]-_-BAU-_-keyword#

sewingj

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 16:10:02 PM »
I`ve got one of those fold-out ones and it is absolutely fine.  I did put some wide sellotape over the edges to protect them a bit though.  I cut out on our dining room table so it is useful to have something that can fold away when it`s not in use