The Sewing Place

A cutting board?

Happymrsg

Re: A cutting board?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 18:13:08 PM »
I've also got the fold out cardboard one, had it about 30 years. It's so useful. I highly recommend it.

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 18:59:19 PM »
Thank you @Addiscomber . That is very similar to the table protector I have. I haven't had chance to try it yet. I have been waiting for the paint to harden off before I do, but I now have visitors coming this weekend so I will need the dining table. Won't be able to start sewing until later in the week unfortunately! I have clips to hold it onto the table. Reassuring to hear that it works for you.

Holly Berry

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 14:30:18 PM »
I’ve had a couple of the fold up ones over the years and they’ve been fantastic. I bought a couple of small ‘g” clamps and position them diagonally opposite and this holds in place. I’m definitely a scissor person for cutting out clothes and rotary cutter for patchwork.
Procrastination get behind me

sewmuchmore

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 18:56:46 PM »
I have on of these on one of my tables
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 21:43:57 PM »
Yet another good idea @sewmuchmore - how resourceful everyone is! I have to wait until I get to the other side of more waves of visitors before I can start sewing again and judge whether or not what I have is adequate.

Elnnina

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 17:54:22 PM »
Having been in one of my cupboards this afternoon I came across what I use on my cutting out table to stop the fold up cardboard cutting out board from moving.  It is called a Non-Slip Mat – Multi Purpose PVC foam mat, size 30cm x 150cm and came from Coopers of Stortford.

I bought a few mats and cut them up into strips and lay these out on a Horn cutting out table, then put the  cutting out board on top and it certainly stops this from sliding all over the place.

I bought my newish cutting out boards from Sew Direct in Havant, these were featured in the haberdashery items in the Sew Today magazine, a year or so back now.  I bought two boards and whilst they were decently packed in individual cardboard boxes and the two taped together and marked fragile, one board was  badly dented in transit, and Sew Direct immediately replaced this with another one which arrived okay.  I also sew on a Horn cabinet, and often put the machine down into the storage position and use one of these boards on my table top when I am sewing.  I find these boards very useful as I am doing a lot of pattern drafting, tracing my patterns etc.

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 20:51:05 PM »
I finally had the dining room back to myself today. I used the table protector pads on the table, but there was a rucked up bit where they meet in the middle - from being stored for a long time. I remembered that I had a cotton-backed PVC tablecloth tucked away though and put this on top and it worked well.

I think though, having read all your posts, that I'll drop the word around that I'd like a cutting board - C*******s is coming!

Sewingforfun

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
I've got a cardboard one, too - like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simplicity-881630-Pattern-Cutting-Board/dp/B004KYX8LK that I have had for well over 30 years and is great.

For a more storable option for the green cutting boards (A0 is pretty big as a single unit), I have 4 in the A1 size and a couple of smaller A3s that I put together in whatever arrangement I need. The rotary cutter sometimes skips a bit on the joins, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little snip of the scissors.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

jintie

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 07:21:11 AM »
I bought a foldable banquetting table from The Range last week. Cutting out is a pleasure now!
Rottweiler with scissors

Greybird

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
I never did get a cutting board. I use the PVC backed tablecloth and it works well - the painted table surface is holding up well.

Sewbee

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »
Having been in one of my cupboards this afternoon I came across what I use on my cutting out table to stop the fold up cardboard cutting out board from moving.  It is called a Non-Slip Mat – Multi Purpose PVC foam mat, size 30cm x 150cm and came from Coopers of Stortford.

I bought a few mats and cut them up into strips and lay these out on a Horn cutting out table, then put the  cutting out board on top and it certainly stops this from sliding all over the place.

I bought my newish cutting out boards from Sew Direct in Havant, these were featured in the haberdashery items in the Sew Today magazine, a year or so back now.  I bought two boards and whilst they were decently packed in individual cardboard boxes and the two taped together and marked fragile, one board was  badly dented in transit, and Sew Direct immediately replaced this with another one which arrived okay.  I also sew on a Horn cabinet, and often put the machine down into the storage position and use one of these boards on my table top when I am sewing.  I find these boards very useful as I am doing a lot of pattern drafting, tracing my patterns etc.

Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but just casually reading on a Sunday morning.

I have one of those fold-up cardboard cutting boards and was thinking of buying some of that rubbery, holey stuff that you use for shelf liner or carpet grips to put under the cutting board to stop it moving. Only thing is, I don’t know if you can buy it by the yard in the U.K., although Dunelm might have it. I use this rubbery stuff underneath my foot pedals to stop them moving around. I have done this for years and it works a treat!

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »
I never did buy a board. Whilst I was thinking about it I made do with a plasticised cotton tablecloth which has been fine. It's heavy enough to stay put on the table and doesn't slide about and smooth enough to make cutting easy.

Sewbee

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »
I never did buy a board. Whilst I was thinking about it I made do with a plasticised cotton tablecloth which has been fine. It's heavy enough to stay put on the table and doesn't slide about and smooth enough to make cutting easy.

I would be lost without that cutting board. I really use the measured grid on it for keeping the grain straight.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 09:32:47 AM »
@Sewbee You can get the rolls of non-slip stuff from Wilkinsons (or is it known as Wilko's now?), and I think B&Q, and I think I've also seen it in B&M or HomeBargains.  We use a lot of it for the shelves/cupboards in the motorhome to stop stuff sliding around whilst on the move.
Otherwise, if you have a hot glue gun, try putting a few squiggles on the back of your board.

Sewbee

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 09:45:00 AM »
@Sewbee You can get the rolls of non-slip stuff from Wilkinsons (or is it known as Wilko's now?), and I think B&Q, and I think I've also seen it in B&M or HomeBargains.  We use a lot of it for the shelves/cupboards in the motorhome to stop stuff sliding around whilst on the move.
Otherwise, if you have a hot glue gun, try putting a few squiggles on the back of your board.

@Bodgeitandscarper Thank you so much! This will be perfect to stop the cutting board moving around.