The Sewing Place

Pin tucks

rowe1311

Pin tucks
« on: March 29, 2017, 14:05:22 PM »
So I am wanting my pin tucks to look something like this.  They r just ironed in place so hopefully will look neater when done properly. 

I can't work out where to begin.  Do I iron first or do each later at a time and where do I sew the seams?   I am sure it is very simple but I can't work out how to begin.  I do have a tuckmarker but I think that might be a stage too far for me.

Angela

Francesca

Re: Pin tucks
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 16:00:40 PM »
Use the iron to mark all the lines you want. Then fold the piece back so you have a right side of fabric downwards and also upwards (essentially "wrong sides together") with your pintuck crease edge on the right and your bulk of garment on the left. Then go to your sewing machine and stitch all down that edge very narrowly (this is the thickness of your pintuck so you probably don't want more than about 5mm).

Do that for all, then open the garment out and press the tucks in the desired direction.

Swisslass

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 17:54:27 PM »
When you start to sew at the bottom of a pin tuck leave a longer thread tail than usual so you can pull the threads to the wrong side and knot them. (Ask me how i know...)
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:01:14 AM »
Try out a couple on a bit of spare fabric first to check the stitching to make sure it is not pulling tight.  There's a lot of stitching close together on tucks and it can end up wrinkly if the stitching isn't right.
Life's too short for ironing.

rowe1311

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 13:08:30 PM »
I am not sure when I will get a chance to finish the dress as we are away this week, but thanks for the tips and I see how I will go.  I might invest in a pin tuck foot for the future, but not sure what size is the best to get, or whether to get all three? 

Angela

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 13:47:51 PM »
A pin tuck foot is fine if you literally want pin tucks (very narrow).  However, a lot of patterns call for tucks (not pin) where the tucks are wider than pin tucks - could be 5 - 10mm, like the pattern you are using.  You wouldn't be able to use a pin tuck foot for those.
Life's too short for ironing.

rowe1311

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 19:31:54 PM »
I have a singer tuck marker attachment, which I am sure if I knew what I was doing would work,but I haven't even tried using it yet so I will stick to the iron this time.  I like the idea of pin tucks for other things so will probably buy some to make life easier in the future. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 14:19:32 PM »
My vintage Singer's pintuck marker is a miracle- I'd never been able to get neat, even tucks before using it.  Wonderful!
C'est moi!