The Sewing Place

Tour of DSI workrooms

Marniesews

Tour of DSI workrooms
« on: October 10, 2018, 17:24:06 PM »
Just ordered my tickets for the upcoming guided tour of DSI-London workrooms (makers of costumes for Strictly Come Dancing).  :D  :) :D

I visited their showroom a few years ago which really helped me up my steep learning curve from being able to peer at the insides of the dresses. This is a new thing for them and I'm really looking forward to it. Apparently someone in the group will get to try on a dress (not sure how many). I do hope we get to see some in construction and perhaps talk to some of the seamstresses/design team.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

eclectic

Re: Tour of DSI workrooms
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 17:34:57 PM »
Oooh I am so jealous!!! What a great experience, please share and report back as I would love to hear about it. Have fun ;)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 18:54:17 PM »
A few years ago i went to an exhibition of dresses that had appeared on Strictly. The ones for the professional dancers were tiny.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewingforfun

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 23:04:32 PM »
@Marniesews - how did you do that? Did you call? I wrote off to ask, but they haven't got back to me. Trying stuff on is just a matter of rocking up and asking to do so (it is a shop after all...!), but I'd love to get into the workrooms.

And speaking of getting into dresses, I had an amusing time at Chrisanne a couple of weeks ago. I went in to pick up some fabric and ended up trying a few things on. Their idea of a 12 and mine are clearly not the same, although the saleswoman did warn me that they come up small! It's odd, as their practice wear comes up large. Even the undecorated Principle dresses were too small in what should have been my size. Still, it was fun to play, and they really are amazing. The construction is (relatively) simple, but it was the level of detail in the decoration that made them so outstanding. It's not just one layer but several (eg lace and net and different sized stones and bead droppers) to give a richer effect.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 23:31:07 PM »
@Sewingforfun the info is here but I had to chase them so if they don't reply to your email the same day, send a follow-up. I'm going with a friend and hoping to meet Skatersmum there so it would be lovely to meet up with you too if you can make it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 23:41:15 PM »
@sewmuchmore I saw a touring exhibition of their dresses a couple of years ago and yes, the pros' dresses tended to be the smallest of them all. Those girls aren't short of muscle though!

Sewingforfun

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 00:05:49 AM »
@Sewingforfun the info is here but I had to chase them so if they don't reply to your email the same day, send a follow-up. I'm going with a friend and hoping to meet Skatersmum there so it would be lovely to meet up with you too if you can make it.

Thanks - I've sent them a chasing email and will try to find time to give them a ring tomorrow. I imagine they have been flat out with the Internationals this week as well as Strictly. Hopefully there is still space, it would be great if we could all go together.

And yes, the pros and serious competitors are mostly teeny tiny - of the ones I know, a lot of the girls are actually also quite short/petite as well as slender, but there definitely also lots of issues with eating disorders (like ballet) and lots of pressure on both sexes to be slim from coaches and judges. One of my ballroom teachers says he specifically avoids arm workouts to avoid bulking up his arms so they look good in his tailsuit (which is stretch and skin tight over the arms).

What I really notice is the slimness of the guys' waists, especially the ones who do Latin, with super toned cores from all the wiggling!! They are proof that the exercise in magazines that promise to whittle your waist really do work, so long as you do about a million zillion repetitions.

Lollipop

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 19:59:11 PM »
Wow, what a great trip! I would love to go and will try to get a ticket for December as I'm up to my ears in costumes for October festivals and English champs in November. A bit of Christmas shopping would be nice too! Thank you for posting x
Was Sewnanny

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 22:07:53 PM »
You're not the only one who missed the first one, @Sewingforfun. Ironically, it was Skatersmum who told me about it in the first place and we hoped to meet up there but I've got tickets and she hasn't!  :(

They've announced more dates here. I understand there are only 10 places per tour so I wouldn't wait too long.

Unless they have some ex-Strictly competitors' dresses for the over 50s I can't imagine there's a dress I'd fit in or might be brave enough to try - even after 4 years in Slimming World!  ><

Sewingforfun

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 22:41:17 PM »

They've announced more dates here. I understand there are only 10 places per tour so I wouldn't wait too long.

Unless they have some ex-Strictly competitors' dresses for the over 50s I can't imagine there's a dress I'd fit in or might be brave enough to try - even after 4 years in Slimming World!  ><

Thanks for the link for the new dates. It's not for want of trying - I've sent three emails and tried calling....! I nearly went in on Sat, but decided I didn't have quite enough time to get there and get to my lesson elsewhere in Croydon.  I'll see if I can get them tomorrow.

They might well have some of the more mature competitors' dresses. If you wanted to try (and why not!), why not call them and ask them if they have and can get some things out in larger sizes. When I went into Chrisanne a couple of weeks ago, they had a 24 on display!

Sewingforfun

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
Success!!! But for the 10th of November, not this weekend. Thank you for encouraging me to persevere.

And @Marniesews - she said they do have some things in more sensible sizes from previous years, so just ask!!  :)