The Sewing Place

Dinner dance dress

Samantha

Dinner dance dress
« on: March 29, 2017, 16:35:20 PM »
We've been invited to a dinner dance (in September) and I would like to make my own dress. I have a large amount of two tone taffeta (freecycle!)  It's a very dark blue/green colour (similar to the photo below)

Of course I could buy some more fabric but it would be good to use up the stash a little!

Any dress pattern suggestions? I don't want it to look too bridsmaid-y which I worry if it's made from taffeta it could? (I'm aged 40 and dress size 12/14, pear shape)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 16:37:13 PM by Samantha »

UttaRetch

Re: Dinner dance dress
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 16:58:37 PM »
We need more info.  :) Long, short, inbetween? Fitted, semi-fitted, loose?  Questions, questions.

Samantha

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 17:07:27 PM »
Pretty open to all suggestions really!! Not sure what the form is for a dinner dance?

I'm thinking not too short, knee length. Not strapless don't mind straps or sleeves. Fitted top half, fitted or flared skirt. Not halter neck as I don't think that's very flattering on me.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 17:33:13 PM »

Tafetta is one of the suggested fabrics.  Vogue 5850.

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 18:33:33 PM »
Nice suggestion Utta , I would do a wrinkle test on the taffeta before I opted for a straight dress it might well crease badly
wrinkle test... grab a handful and squeeze ( not something I say to many people :*
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 21:05:00 PM »

Tafetta is one of the suggested fabrics.  Vogue 5850.

Thanks for the suggestion - I really liked the look of this from the illustrations but when I googled it to see if there were any reviews/made up dresses I wasn't so keen on it.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 21:46:16 PM »
I have just had a look myself and only this blogger seems to have made a decent fist of it.  I am surprised.  I'll keep looking.

suzied

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
How about this one?

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
Ooooh, that one is lovely!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
Is it worth checking the dress code for the do.  Dinner Dance still tends to be Evening Dress which means long evening gowns for women and Dinner Suits for men.  However if it's a Dance function with a meal like a works Christmas outing type do, then often it's more casual than a Dinner Dance and party wear/cocktail dresses for women and lounge suits/smart casual for men may be the standard.

Good point I will check. It's for the Community First Responders (I'm not one, a friend is) so I would imagine it's probably less formal.

Samantha

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »
I have just had a look myself and only this blogger seems to have made a decent fist of it.  I am surprised.  I'll keep looking.

Yep that is the only decent one I've seen of that pattern, the reviews of the instructions aren't great either but thank you for looking!

suzied - I like the b version but can't find any reviews or actual makes on the 'tinternet

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »

Vogue 8470.  Tafeffa is not one of the suggested fabrics, but the skirt is nice and swishy.

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Great minds UttatRetch!  Just been admiring option B!

I also really like this one https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-pleated-ruched-dress-attached-cape-vogue-pattern-1535

Samantha

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 14:32:24 PM »
And this https://thefoldline.com/patterns/b5919/ (version A with the full skirt)

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 17:37:10 PM »
Another idea

Details here.  It's a very popular make and this blogger made a particularly neat version.