The Sewing Place

Getting a sewing room back!

Francesca

Getting a sewing room back!
« on: October 12, 2018, 13:37:00 PM »
We're currently in a 3 bed house though it's more like 2 bedrooms and a box.

The "back bedroom" is not large at all but I've crammed it full of a lot of stuff... a sofabed, dressing table, and my fabric. There isn't much room for more. When guests stay over they sort of have to climb in the bottom of the bed as you can't get in from the sides.

Our second bedroom is like a second living room. It was intended to be an office space but has warped into boyfriend's "game room". Massive TV, sofa, coffee table, desk, and large shelving unit of junk and lego. He decided he wanted to get rid of the TV and sofa, so it'll just be his desk. We also need a proper place to set up the printer and make it more home-office.

So he's agreed we can flip the rooms  :loveit: This will give me loads more space as I will have my sewing cabinet upstairs. I will still have to cut things out dowstairs on the dining room table but it means our dining room will be a lot tidier.

Exciting!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 13:48:18 PM by Francesca »

Acorn

Re: Getting a sewing room back!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 13:43:49 PM »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 14:33:06 PM »
Woohoo, that's great, @Francesca   !! Although, speaking from experience, there is never enough room for all that fabric......  :D

Enjoy!  xx

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 14:48:12 PM »
I'm currently vacuum packing it all in those big bags for storage (basing it on summer/winter and writing notes with what is in each bag so I know where to look!)

But there is a deep cupboard so it can all go in vacuum bags, stacked in there, with some nice fresheners too I think so it stays nice :)

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 15:30:16 PM »
Inhve found that vacuum packed bags of fabric can leak if pùt on top of each other.

To stop this being a problem I now put my vacuum packed bags in a box and close it with packing tape.  Then if one of the bags expands it can't (usuaĺly) escape the confines of the box.

jen

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 16:05:35 PM »
Sounds like a move in the right direction. I nearly lost my sewing room this week, as a daughter is returning for a few months, but in a moment of unusual solidarity dh offered one of his rooms (yes, rooms plural) instead. All the stuff from it is now in our bedroom, making for less of a des.res. feel, but hey, still got my sewing space.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 16:08:11 PM »
The compromise is losing my "dressing room" and I'll also have a fireplace in there, but it's much much bigger. It will open up our dining room considerably, in fact it'll feel half empty!

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:00:38 AM »
I am spread thickly throughout a three bedroom house and a three bedroom bungalow each with it's own vaaaast garage.
Don't judge me.  :(
I'm really not looking forward to amalgamation day!  :o
Fashion fades, style is forever!

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 08:10:27 AM »
Congratulations on the new sewing room  :loveit:

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 14:19:45 PM »
Well I just picked up my new chair for the new room! No more using the dining room chair for sewing, yay!

The room is definitely smaller than I imagine it in my head so I'm curious to see how it works out. But it's so much warmer than the dining room.

It's also got carpeted floor so that's going to be fun to hoover...

I'm trying to decide where exactly to place all my furniture. There is one window - so I'm not sure whether to put the sewing table near it or my dressing table. I probably use my dressing table more in the day than my sewing table, which is more likely used in the evenings.

It looks like my fabric stash will stay put on the shelving where it currently is in the back bedroom.

Also would like to sort out some sort of curtain, but on the cheap. Currently we have a weird paper blind. The paper blind can remain and I'm thinking of hanging a decorative curtain over it for privacy (whereas the paper blind is blackout).