The Sewing Place

New Vogue patterns - Winter 2018

Tamnymore

New Vogue patterns - Winter 2018
« on: October 12, 2018, 17:20:11 PM »
The new winter Vogue patterns are now available on the US website here .

These won't be available in the UK for a few weeks yet.

There are a number of party frocks of course but I quite like the Marcy Tilton coat/ top V9352 although I don't think the fabrics they have used set it off to best advantage. Also the Zandra Rhodes top is nice if the fabric is like the one in the photo (but I don't like the hang bits - what are they about?!?) V1609
This skirt is stunning V9349. Maybe one for @DementedFairy .
The Bellville Sassoon Dress is lovely if you are thin! V1600

There still seem to be an awful lot of foofy sleeves about!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SkoutSews

Re: New Vogue patterns - Winter 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 17:31:52 PM »
There's not much for me there  :( 

I agree about the Belville Sassoon dress, it's lovely, but I don't have the figure for it.  Possibly the V1602 or V1603 might work for a special occasion dress (I'm thinking weddings here).

Edited to add:  Looking at V1602 again, it's not a great fit on the model.  It looks too big around the shoulders and the neckline isn't sitting well.  Or am I being picky?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 17:34:46 PM by SkoutSews »

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 18:02:53 PM »
I always love the Vogue winter looks!  The foofy skirt is OK but not as amazing as the one I splashed out on earlier this year

I like the Tom and Linda Platt offering, although again, the fabric isn't as fabulous as it deserves- it looks cheap and shiny.  Imagine it in a textured velvet and crepe mixture...

The PAco Peralta has great style lines but a hideous poo-coloured lumpy fabric

And I NEED this Zandra Rhodes- this one is even in my colours!  I don't like the dingle dangles though...

Too many crappy fabrics, WAY too many 'feature' sleeves which would just drop in your christmas gravy, and the Tilton and Akker offerings are more of the usual fare, desirable but same-old.
But more there than most recent offerings!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 19:53:12 PM »
Yes I wonder at some of the fabrics they use. The Zandra Rhodes looks like lovely and expensive silk - very Zandra - but one of the views of the Marcy Tilton top seems to be made from a bit of old ripstop bri-nylon. It makes such a difference.  I'm just finishing off a Tilton top for the tartan sewalong but I can't find any reviews of it anywhere. I'm sure it's because the pattern envelope shows it made up in a strange plasticky pleather like fabric.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 20:30:05 PM »
The one that catches my eye is 1608 by Koos van den Akker
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

With the right fabrics it could be a Darkside challenge.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewcycle

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 20:39:35 PM »
Tamnymore, I do like the Tilton coat/dress in the white morse code fabric, but it does look a bit like a mash up of several other patterns. I usually find I like others' takes on the Tilton sisters' patterns more than their own cover photos. The patterns seem to develop and mature a bit. I think you've picked out the most interesting ones, along with the Koos one. I like the tree fabric in that. I don't really do many dresses. I wish there was the odd interesting trousers pattern with nice top.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 21:13:13 PM »
My favourite one is definitely the Belleville Sassoon. It's a fit and flareish and I actually think it would suit a lot of people. I love that it's a simple cut with really cool style lines. The rest of them are a bit meh for my tastes.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
The Marcy Tilton is ok, but nothing special really.  Nothing else there appeals to me.  :(

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
At last - some patterns I like! I was beginning to think I was stuck forever with the collection I already have. I too like the Paco Peralta and the Tom and Linda Platt, but I am going by the line drawings and not the photos. I also like V9351 but would probably only make the jacket - I think I'm past wearing a backless jumpsuit!

Fiona M

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
Love that Marcy Tilton coat, if it were in the right fabric.

Samantha

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
I love the Bellville Sassoon one  (https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1600) I may have to purchase when it's available.

I also really like the jumpsuit in this set https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9351 but I'm a bit past backless jumpsuits I think!

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 13:47:04 PM »
Agree with the love for the Tilton coat and that the fabrics for it were badly chosen. The line art of it is much more appealing.

I like the kimono V1610 as well, then again an existing kimono pattern can be easily adapted (I like the front band of the pattern)

crafter

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 14:48:16 PM »
Nice, but hardly everyday outfits.  Can't see me wearing any of it in a rural village.  Although I'm not completely sad, I do go out sometimes.

I like V1600, but I would have to be a lot thinner.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 21:10:36 PM by crafter »

coffeeandcake

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 19:57:09 PM »
I like the Zandra Rhodes top.  For what it's worth I was in New York last week and found that it's cheaper to buy Vogue patterns in the UK  atm.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 20:00:32 PM by coffeeandcake »

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 21:48:09 PM »
Thank you for going to New York to check pattern prices for us @coffeeandcake  :D