The Sewing Place

Aubergine and black ponte dress V9202

Silver Rose

Aubergine and black ponte dress V9202
« on: October 13, 2018, 11:35:53 AM »
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOtPP3o3H4pMGtaFKM0GT02UrtWFykZGCLXCSno
These are the fabrics I bought on my day in Norwich last Wednesday. The pink and grey is for a pencil skirt and another chance to match the checks. Hope to start cutting out tomorrow.
Still learning

Pearl

Re: Aubergine and black ponte dress V9202
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »
Oh, I get an error message, @Silver Rose .   :( :( :(

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I had a bad feeling about that link,will try again.
Amended - That's better I hope
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:51:18 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »
At last I managed to find time and inclination to cut this dress out, I have cut a 14 this time as the 16 I usually cut on all other pattern brands came out too large. The bodice is pinned and after measuring it and comparing with other similar fitted dresses I have made it will be a snug fit. I've got a feeling this will be a slow job as my sewing mojo seems to be dawdling a bit but it has not gone completely.
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »
If it looks like being a bit on the snug side, could you just sew narrow seams to give a little more ease?  But if it has princess seams as well, work out how much you'll be adding, I've done it in the past and ended up with things too big!

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
That's what I was thinking Bodge, I'm going to proceed more carefully with this version, I really like this style of dress and I want it to be better than the blue one which I managed to drop the glass butter dish down  last week and smear it with Asda's cheapest :|, needless to say I cleaned the dress up before I swept up the bits from the kitchen floor.Thanks for your suggestions.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 13:32:15 PM »
I tacked the bodice together with 1cm seams and tried it on and it fitted ok and I have tacked the skirt part in the same way but haven't tried it on yet. This will be a slow job.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:20:34 AM »
I have made good progress, the dress is now all sewn except for the sleeves and the side seams, that is where the final fit adjustments will be made. I am really pleased with it, I have been more careful and accurate this time especially matching the princess seams

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:22:56 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Pretty perfect matching, @Silver Rose  ! Looking forward to seeing the finished article  :sew:

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »
Thank you Nevis5, it may seem a little thing to be accurate but I find it really difficult so it is a mini triumph for me to make a neat job, I owe this new skill to my dabbling in the dark side 0_0, thank you Iminei and gang.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »
I am really pleased with the fit, yesterday my friend came round before we went out at lunchtime and I put the dress on in its tacked state to show him and get his opinion on the fit. He knows nothing about sewing but is honest about what I look like in the clothes that I make and he thought it looked great on me :) and did I want a photo taken now, I said better wait until the sleeves are in  and it is sewn up properly ;). I am very pleased with my efforts and can't wait to get it finished. After that we went to the pub and then had  a lovely walk in the sunshine.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 18:46:57 PM »
That's fabulous, @Silver Rose , how lovely of your friend to be so complimentary too. 

I'm not that perfect at pattern matching either, but not sure I can venture into that Dark Side.....it's scary there!   :D :D

Good luck with finishing the dress; look forward to seeing the pics when you can xx

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
It is finished except for the hem and deciding if I want long or 3/4 length sleeves and I am going to add a contrasting black band to the edge of the sleeves. The fit is good, it could even be a bit tighter but I could put a few pounds back on during the winter so I'll leave well alone. I am very pleased with it and as soon as my friend can take photos I will post them. I'm already thinking about making another version, maybe with the full skirt - something for next Spring or Summer. That means I'll need to look for fabric ;)
Still learning

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the photos, the dress sounds like a success and I love the colours.

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 08:05:02 AM »
All done :), hope to have pics by the weekend.
Still learning