The Sewing Place

Quilt Hanging rod pocket/sleeve.

rubywishes

Quilt Hanging rod pocket/sleeve.
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »
I am about to put a rod pocket/sleeve onto the back of a quilt and am confused by the you tubes and tutorials I have seen and read. There seems to be 2 camps....those who sew a simple flat pocket onto the back and those who sew their pocket/sleeve making a "D" shape of their pocket with the flat side against the back and the curved/baggy side facing outwards. This latter method is meant to allow the rod to sit better in the sleeve and for the quilt to hang flatter.

What say you all? I'm confused, hesitant, flummoxed and reaching for the red wine! -< -< -<
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:37:07 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

fajita

Re: Quilt Hanging rod pocket/sleeve.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
I've only made a hanging sleeve once. I made it with room for the hanging rod to sit without disturbing the lay of the front of the quilt. So in effect, the D shape.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:37:05 AM »
I hate wall hangings  :devil: so I suggest you pin it up with drawing pins  :P or glue it with "No More Nails"  :P...... preferably to the back of a large cupboard  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 17:18:12 PM »
I haven't gone to the dark side yet - too many other projects. I do want a cover for my bed soon (quilted - not pieced) but am designing a wall hanging for over the headboard. A "D" pocket will hang flatter, as will a flat covered metal bar as a support. "T" pins can also be a temporary solution.

Having extensive construction expertise, I never - for any reason - never use an adhesive on any wall board or plaster. When you remove it you always have a damaged wall. That is a pain to fix. How many times have I cursed former renters for this - as I made the repair.(The foamy double stick tape will permanently damage a fiberglass shower)

Post it notes, the gummy stuff our teachers used in primary school are fine. I even rub finger oil on Scotch tape before sticking it to the wall. None of these will hold a quilt.

I have used contact paper to adhere cork tiles to the wall and adhesive to glue the tiles to the paper. 15 years later, tiles and cork removed easily, used some "No Sand" to remove any residual adhesive, sanded slightly and repainted with no damage to wall board.

Tiny holes are a breeze to fix, finished ripped from the underboard by strong adhesives are massive work.  Wallpaper paste applied directly to unprepared wallboard - its easier to replace all of the boards.

Be very careful with glues on walls.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 20:06:30 PM »
@rubywishes

I'm confused, hesitant, flummoxed and reaching for the red wine!
You're not confused or flommoxed really, though don't let me put you off the red wine (I assume the sun is over the yardarm by now!).  You need a 'D' sleeve or the quilt won't hang straight down. Pin the sleeve on and you'll see what happens if you have it too tight. Remember to sew it on low enough that it won't show over the top of the quilt when you hang it up.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 21:18:57 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Or make a tab top if you have enough fabric and have your hanging rod visible.

here's one I prepared earlier.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:44:53 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 03:11:29 AM »
Thanks everyone, decision subsequently made...."D" pocket it is. Tomorrow that is, now that the red wine consumption has me somewhat relaxed and "mellow-in-my-chair" in the sunshine (Glorious sunny day today).  :toast: :toast: :toast:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
those who sew A) simple flat pocket onto the back and B) those who sew their pocket/sleeve making a "D" shape of their pocket with the flat side against the back and the curved/baggy side facing outwards. This latter method is meant to allow the rod to sit better in the sleeve and for the quilt to hang flatter.

Both of these are basically the same, the only difference being the size of lath you put into them.... Let me explain (or try to)

If you have a 4" wide sleeve on the back of your quilt and you ram a 3" x 1/2" lath through it, you'll have
A) a flat to the back sleeve

If you have a 4" wide sleeve and you put a 2" x 1/4" lath you'll have a B) a D shaped sleeve.

Some people make a D sleeve by 
folding their sleeve fabric in two (WST) along the length of their fabric
and sewing 1/4" along the long fold with a large stitch,
they complete making the sleeve in the normal way,
lie it very flat to the back of the quilt and attach.
They then remove the line of large stitches and hey presto you have an amount of ease built in!

When I first exhibited at FOQ I stressed so much over the Attach a 4" sleeve to the back o your quilt instruction
I had, but it was a lil on the tight side .... do they use 4" laths??? Will they fit my sleeve??
There was no information out there about this! I really stressed ...

Now I can categorically tell you they use laths that are 2" wide by whatever it is deep ... so I could've saved myself so much worry!

Whether you chose to allow an amount of ease in your sleeve or lay it flat to the back of the quilt these are the steps to take to make a standard 4" wide Hanging Sleeve ...

1)   Cut a rectangle of your backing fabric, width of your quilt x 9" wide.

2)   Turn over both of the 9" edges by 1/2" twice and stitch down to make a neat hem
Your backing fabric should now measure ......  -2" width of your quilt x 9"

3)   Fold your backing fabric, with the  finished short edges Right Side up, in half along the length of the Rectangle, Wrong Sides Together
Your backing fabric should now measure  .......  -2" width of your quilt x 4 1/2"

4)   Sew along the Raw Edge of the rectangle using a 1/4" or 1/2" seam as you wish.
Your sleeve will now measure -2" width of quilt by 4 - 4 1/2"

5)   Move the long seam into the middle of the sleeve and press open

6)   Place the sleeve on the reverse of your quilt with the top edge just below the binding, the raw edged seam against back of quilt and centred in the middle of your quilt ... you should have about an 1" of space between the side edges of your quilt and the beginning of the sleeve.

7)   Hand sew along the top of the sleeve, the bottom layer of the sides of the sleeve and along the bottom of the sleeve ... making sure your stitches do not show on the front of your quilt!

8 )   Run a 2" lath (cut to size, either a fraction smaller than the width of your quilt or longer, as you prefer) through the sleeve
      Hang,
      Stand Back and
      Admire your work!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:37:38 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »
I think there's a frustrated teacher in you somewhere @Iminei   :D hence all the painstaking tutorials that pop up whenever something is mentioned  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
Just wish there had been a me somewhere when I first started you know ..... because a lot of the professional tuts assume you know ... whatever, which is why my tuts (i hope) can help a total novice.

If you know that RST means Right Sides Together, you as a more experienced quilter, can skip that page and go on but if you didnt and came across ... place these two squares rst ... ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again