The Sewing Place

Tonertex foil & glitter

Lachica

Tonertex foil & glitter
« on: October 14, 2018, 10:04:08 AM »
I bought a kit at the ally pally show, just cos it looks fun. I've now played with both foil & glitter, on fabric and card. IF it's washable I can see another party dress for DGD coming up.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Marniesews

Re: Tonertex foil & glitter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »
Ken bought one of these kits last year but somehow a suitable project hasn't arisen yet. Mind you, it took me over a year to get around to using the beads I had (and bought more at last year's show) so I can't talk!

Looking forward to seeing yours much sooner.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
I used foil on fabric for the foxglove flowers in my picture.  The vase and the leaves are shiny fabrics and the butterflies are glittered organza.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 01:07:10 AM »
It "should" be washable, just like the foiled tee shirts you can buy. Generally needs to be turned inside out, low temp, tumble dry low or air dry and DO NOT iron over the foil if pressing of garment is needed. I use a laundry bag to help reduce friction, which can rub the foil off.

I've not used the pressure sensitive glues as much as the heat set type. Absolutely fun to play with!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
Instructions say it's washable, that scrap will be going in the machine on the next wash. We may be the glitteriest (is that a word) old couple in town!
Mary

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
Oh, I decorated stones from our local to us (then) beach as place markers for our wedding like that ...

I wrote the names on the stones in glue, let it dry transparent and then rubbed the foil over it.

Everybody took their stone home with them too, which I thought was lovely.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 13:18:18 PM »
What type of glue did you use @Iminei? There was a glue pen (for paper, wood, glass etc)in the kit and I bought fabric glue in a squeeze bottle but at £8 for 60ml it would be good to know alternatives. Though I suspect I have enough to last my lifetime.
Mary

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 14:02:14 PM »
The original was a 'special' glue, Zig 2 way glue, designed especially for the process (yeah, right!)  ...
for special glue read £££ ...

but I think it just needs to dry transparent and slightly tacky so you can attach the foil ...
I would experiment with glues before shelling out.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 14:18:59 PM »
Good idea @Iminei.
Mary

Kitten

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 14:03:50 PM »
If you want to use the Tonertex on fabrics they sell a powder (like used in bondaweb I believe) which you use and then heatset. 
Have a look on their website as they have videos to explain it.

I've got some of their foils which I first bought when my son was young - he's 29 now and they're still good.

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 22:30:39 PM »
@Kitten thanks for that,  is it easier to use than the liquid glue? I didn't find it easy to be precise with the squeezy glue bottle. I probably need to practise. Unfortunately the foil isn't washing machine proof. The glue is though. As I suspected, it may be fine for costumes that are carefully handwashed but not for a dress for GD which needs to be machine washe, or my daughter won't want it .
Mary

Kitten

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
I haven't actually had a chance to use it yet but bought it as it seemed easy to use.
I'm surprised the foils aren't machine washable as I though she said they were, and their website says they are "fully washable".

I don't know many who would hand wash much these days - but it might just be me being lazy  :P

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 11:44:33 AM »
Yes, I'm sure the lady on the stand said they're washable, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought them. However, I threw my sample pieces in with a 2 hr 40 degree wash, it might have fared better on my usual 30 degree 'fashion care' programme which is only 50 mins. I agree, no -one handwashes nowadays (except me with angora sweaters).
Mary

Kitten

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 16:01:21 PM »
Sorry I couldn't be more help. -<

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 21:50:17 PM »
Two hours sounds awfully long for a somewhat delicate surface treatment. Ideally, as I mentioned before,  generally turned inside out, low temp, tumble dry low or air dry and DO NOT iron over the foil if pressing of garment is needed. I use a laundry bag to help reduce friction, which can rub the foil off. You want to use your machines equivalent to a delicate hand wash. You do need to mollycoddle it a bit. It's also more permanent with the heat set adhesive rather than a rub on glue in my experience. I was using the adhesive designed for commercial silk screen production either painted, screened or stamped on.

The powder is awesome but tricky. It's by Bo-Nash and they do have many videos. It's used by cleaners for garment repair apparently. Anyway, anywhere you get a speck of the powder the foil will adhere. They suggest using a stencil then placing a silicone ironing sheet over it, press then carefully remove the stencil. It's wonderful if you want to do a Fairy dusting of powder then lay the foil over and press. Nice in mixed media applications.

It might end up being too fiddly for practical use on a small childs garments. Pitty.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.