The Sewing Place

A New Sweatshirt

Ploshkin

A New Sweatshirt
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
I took advantage of two very wet days and got a sweatshirt made.  It shouldn't have taken that long but I cut up a plain T shirt that I had managed to make with the stretch going the wrong way for the neckband, raglan seams and cuffs.  As it was quite a bit thinner than the main fabric I used it double and it seemed to fight back all the way.  I also used my coverstitch machine for only the second time.  The intention was to do a double line of topstitching down the raglan strips but I ended up after 4 attenpts just doing a line of ordinary machine stitching as it didn't need the stretch.  I just couldn't manage to follow the narrow strip and keep the stitching from wandering off it.  Combination I think of dark thread on dark fabric, poor lighting and eyesight not as good as I think it is.

Fabric is the result of temptation from someone on here who posted a link to Lamazi Fabrics  :devil: you know who you are!  It's called Cotton Terry but I would call it sweatshirt fabric (brushed back).  It's lovely weight and quality and I just loved the cats.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Mocarroll

Re: A New Sweatshirt
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 19:36:08 PM »
I love the way you’ve highlighted the raglan seams with the navy. Sweatshirts are something on my list to make.  Did you need a dart in the shoulder of the sleeve.?
I have yet to fall in love with my coverstitch machine. I think it will take a little while, maybe she’s sulking under the work table!  :(. I only have room for 2 machines out at any one time so it’s serger and sewing machine and then a big change around to bring the coverstitcher out.  I remember taking a while to get to grips with the serger too. I think it was a question of handling the fabric and feeding it through with confidence and now I don’t have to think about it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 20:35:05 PM »
@Mocarroll that particular pattern does have a dart in the shoulder.  I was going to do away with it as the fabric is quite stretchy but couldn't be bothered.  It does give it a nice shape.
I used the coverstitcher for the hem and that is fine.  I need to do a few practice bits to work out how to line things up.  It could do with a transparent foot.  It's a bit odd that there are no guides marked on the needle plate.
Life's too short for ironing.

Mocarroll

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 21:55:34 PM »
Sounds like you’ve got the Janome like me.  I can’t understand why they haven’t put guidelines on the needle plate and £24.50 for a transparent foot is a bit steep but I think I’m going to get one.
I made a raglan teeshirt using a Lekala pattern but it pulls a bit at the neckline, would certainly have benefited from a dart at the sleeve head.  What pattern did you use?

Samantha

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »
Love that fabric! Great job  :toast: