The Sewing Place

Curved Bargello

Pearl

Curved Bargello
« on: October 14, 2018, 15:10:24 PM »
Last year, I attended Jan Hassard's Spirals workshop which resulted in a small, unfinshed quiltette, which is, of course, festering in my UFO box.  On this occassion, I bought a kit from Hannah's Room.

Today, I have booked a place on the Curved Bargello workshop in March.   Course requirement is four colourways with six fabrics in each running from light to dark and a fifth feature colour.   Do I buy a kit or do I woman-up and put my own together?

Pros
Buying a kit is easier.
I'm rubbish at colour.  When I was making my (yellow and violet) quilt for the Project Linus, I spent most of the time asking, "Is this yellow?" 
If I buy a kit, I'll know it's "right".

Cons
It would be more of an achievement to do it myself.  If I don't do it, I'll never learn.
I could use some of my stash (especially the left over yellow and violet).

Not sure if it would cost more.  So, dear ladies, what do you think?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 21:28:55 PM by Pearl »

wrenkins

Re: Jan Hassard Curved Bargello workshop - strata
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 15:39:16 PM »
Depends on how much fabric you want buried with you.
I find when I do a project I buy about three fabrics for every one that I use. Some are nothing even to do with said project...they're just lovely and happen to be on the same site.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 16:07:01 PM »
Probably more expensive to diy as Wrenkins says.  When I did my purple / green log cabin with stars I put together my fabrics, then came across a 'must have' fabric for the stars so changed that, then found that some of the other fabrics didn't look right with the new star fabric and so on and ......
I ended up using only one of my original choice (I now have several pieces of purple quilting fabric waiting for something.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 16:34:37 PM »
Start here

Depends if you already have fabrics you would like to use ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 16:46:46 PM »

Thanks SO much, Imi.  That makes me think maybe I could do it.   :loveit: :loveit: :loveit: 

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 21:35:23 PM »
Of course you can do it.

Just make sure that your fabrics are all 'blenders' or small overall patterns with only one main colour.

The trick to being sure that they all go from light to dark evenly is to photograph in black and white - use whatever photo editing software you have to get B&W or monochrome - or shout for help if necessary.

Was it with TSP or the old place when @Iminei  was cutting all of those strips?  Working through them and getting the colours right certainly seemed to bring out her confidence with using colour.  :)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »
@Pearl ... If I can do it! Believe me you can!

Jan is a very good and patient tutor, and will drum it in to you that its all about organisation.

@BrendaP ... I started putting the strata together in May 2016 for a May 28th workshop ...

The inner top was completed on June 14th with the borders being added on June 21st and the back was pieced by July 3rd ...

there was a long break over the summer while I waited for a longarmer to get to my quilt ...  :angry:

after 3 months of it languishing at the bottom of the pile, I retrieved it, took it to Andrew of White Orchid Longarm quilting and within a week I had it back, quilted to perfection.

It was finished completely, bound and (badly) labelled by the 18th November 2016
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:30:02 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
I have every confidence in you @Pearl  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:34:32 AM »
@Pearl I started putting the strata together in May 2016 for a May 28th workshop ...

That means the discussions were on the old forum, so no links to them  :(

You will learn so much more if you select the fabrics yourself.  Just keep coming back here to ask for help as and when you need to.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 17:31:59 PM »
Thank you for your encouragement, @Iminei , @Lowena  @BrendaP

I have sorted some fabrics which (I think) are turquoise (or teal) and I probably have enough pink(?), purple and yellow.  It's half term next week so I'll dig them all out and take photos.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 17:35:40 PM by Pearl »

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 20:04:15 PM »
@Pearl I feel your pain, I'm the same and must admit the B and W function on my phone gets a real work out sometimes!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 18:52:19 PM »
I've done the black and white thingy to put them in order but are these even the same colour?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:02:19 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 18:58:18 PM »
It hardly gets any bigger when you click it, @Pearl   so it's difficult to see  -<
@Iminei will be pleased she has pictorial evidence and doesn't have to read ( see FB folks  :P:D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 19:04:35 PM »
At least I know that these are all pink!  Not sure about them going light to dark evenly though, @BrendaP .  I do have six but only need five so can take out one, maybe the third one?   -<

I've made this pic a bit bigger, just for you, @Lowena

ETA  I do need six but have some darker pink (not as dark as the darkest of these)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 19:13:55 PM by Pearl »

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
looking at the pinks ...

Number 1 fine (Finstall ?? very nice)
Number 2 fine
Number 3 remove this or Number 4
Number 5 is fine if its got some detail in it ... (It looks like it could be the batiky type stripe from Fabric Freedom)
You' need Number 6 to be quite dark indeed

Has Jan said small patterns that read as pink are ok?

here were my pinks for the Undulations workshop