The Sewing Place

Curved Bargello

BrendaP

Re: Jan Hassard Curved Bargello workshop - strata
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
I've done the black and white thingy to put them in order but are these even the same colour?

The photo is too small to see well but the second from bottom looks to be leaning towards purple (warm blue) whist the others are a cooler blue, leaning towards green.  Also the fabric at the top is a greyed down tone of the cooler blues.

They are certainly not in tonal order (light to dark) in that photo.

Photos on a Mac has three b&w options; mono, tonal and noir.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Going from the top down I would say that 2 is the darkest, then 3, then 4, 1, 5 and 6 is the lightest.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:05:53 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
At least I know that these are all pink!  Not sure about them going light to dark evenly though, @BrendaP .  I do have six but only need five so can take out one, maybe the third one?   -<

I've made this pic a bit bigger, just for you, @Lowena

ETA  I do need six but have some darker pink (not as dark as the darkest of these)

The photo isn't much much bigger and is losing its clarity by making it 'bigger'  Ideally it needs to be higher definition (more pixels).
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I think they are in the right order, but going left to right  fabrics 2, 3 and 4 are all very similar in value.  I would take at least one of them out, probably 4th from the left because it has some areas of a much darker pink.  For this type of thing each fabric needs to be a small all-over pattern.  The big splodges of dark throw the selection process out of kilter.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Pearl

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 21:02:51 PM »
Thank you so much, @BrendaP and @Iminei .  I've taken the top blue and the warm blue out and number 3 pink and the darkest pink.  I'm going to take the others for a little outing to the Bramble Patch to find them some new companions.  Now to sort the yellows and purples. 

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
I soooo wish you lived nearer Pearl, having done a couple of JH workshops I have Plenty of colours. Jan was once miffed as someone said her workshops required sooo much fabric.

They do and they dont !

They need a lil of a lot of different colours ...
Fat Quarters and 10cms strip (WOF) are your friend here (obvs checking that the strips/pieces required fit that width)

The best and (I found) simplest WS of JH's I did was the Spiral Child 

(Spirals) which I then adapted for Lucias 21st B'day quilt.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 17:56:31 PM »
I've done Spirals but, unsurprisingly, do not (yet) have anything to show for it, save the pic I did on the day of the workshop.  I don't mind buying fabric for something like this as, if I have more than is needed it will be used.  I am a real colour dunce though and will hopefully learn through putting together the strata.    I just wish I had more time.  If I'm ever home in daylight, I'll take a pic of the purples and yellows.

Pearl

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 11:04:21 AM »
Purple
I chose the three at the top initially but looking at the pic, the lightest appears to be more blue than the others.  Would it be better to replace it with one of the light ones at the bottom of the pic?  Which three of the ones bottom right would fit?  I do appreciate your advice.   <3

Pearl

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 11:23:23 AM »
Yellow

I'm not even going to pretend that I have any idea about yellow.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 13:36:40 PM »
PURPLES

Top Row ... 1  2   3

Bottom Row ... 4   5   6   7   8   9

There is nothing to say you cant move strata going from the red side of purple to the Blue, and if I were you with these fabrics  that is exactly what I would do

Imis take ... 1... 6 or 8    7   2  9   3

Im leaning towards the 8, but only you can tell in the flesh so to speak.

Yellows ... You need some more oranges, orange/reds in there otherwise they are going to present as a blank space

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 13:39:10 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 14:16:56 PM »
 :flower: :flower: :flower: @Iminei .

When I lay them in the order you recommended, 9 was darker than 2, so I swapped them.

Here is option 1...

Pearl

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 14:18:06 PM »
and option 2.

I think I prefer this one.

BrendaP

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 14:57:06 PM »
Swap 2nd and 3rd from the left.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 15:02:50 PM »
Yellows:   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Discard the one in the top row with the swirls - the contrast makes it stand out too much, also the one to the left of it.

The three on the bottom all look good, so choose those and a couple of the others.  Probably the one to the right of the swirls and the one to the left of the ivy leaves would complement the bottom three best.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 15:04:28 PM by BrendaP »

Pearl

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 17:40:00 PM »
In typical Pearl style, I began sorting fabric for this project in a timely fashion, and then lay it to one side until the workshop is almost upon us.  This is what I have so far.

I have enough yellow and purple but need one more teal and pink and another colourway.  This will probably be white, grey, black, as the only alternative I have considered is green and Lowena would never forgive me.   :)

Tomorrow I am off to the Bramble Patch with a little Iminei on one shoulder and a little Brenda on the other.  That will keep me on the straight and narrow.  <3
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 17:46:19 PM by Pearl »

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 19:02:36 PM »
 :D Good luck...... and just make sure you don't fall off the straight and narrow  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »
My pretties

Purple, yellow and blue as above, plus

and one new pink (darkest)